2- MTF Fate

Copyright © designschool 2021

All Rights Reserved

     Eight stops on the metro from her Bronx apartment until she could exit at Times Square. Gia checked the Citymapper app again. It said it would take her 35 minutes to get to the Morgan Stanley building from her building, so she left her apartment at five minutes before seven. With it being her first time during rush hour, she hoped it was enough. The app had been accurate on travel times so far. She anxiously tapped her feet.

     Gia smiled at the young mother and child who sat down next to her, wondering what their story was. Maybe the mom was taking the toddler to daycare so she could work. The woman was dressed in jeans and a T-shirt. What kind of job allowed that to work? Or maybe the woman would change into a uniform when she got there. Gia's mind continued to wander as her eyes settled on a man dressed in a suit. Not as high of a quality as the suits that men at Morgan Stanley wore, so maybe he's not into investments or banking. Her eyes fell to her own navy colored skirt and matching jacket. It felt stuffy for a July day, but she didn't want to be underdressed, especially on her first day. Hopefully it was adequate. It was something she had picked up on sale at Macy's, and it was nowhere near the quality of the designer brands that she had seen when interviewing. This particular suit seemed to flatter her figure, though, and maybe the executives would be understanding since she was just an intern. Back home in her little beachside town, working for Mr. Fitzsimmons during the summer, a sundress was enough on most days. The atmosphere at Morgan Stanley was a far cry from that. Even buying suits on sale, she spent more than she would have liked when updating her wardrobe for this job. She sighed, then took several deep breaths. First day nerves were real.

     Checking the app again, she saw that only 4 more stops remained. The ride was going quickly, though she was admittedly envious of Evie, who only had a five minute walk to the school where she was working. They had both been thrilled when the school that hired her as a second grade teacher, offered the option to teach summer classes. If she hadn't come with Gia for the summer, living expenses would have been out of her budget.

     It was the 72nd street exit, and the next was her stop. Gia gathered her purse and messenger bag and eased her way closer to the door smiling nervously. Excitement raced through her as she anticipated the year to come.

~~~

     The cold appearance of Mrs. Ivanov was deceiving. She was actually a very thoughtful and kind woman, as she walked Gia around the office. Her compassion made sense, with her being head of Human Resources, and having to regularly work with employees when they have personal issues, or problems with other employees. Gia was surprised, however, that Mrs. Ivanov was the one leading her around, and not her assistant. Just as the elevator doors started to close, Gia looked up and saw a familiar face walk past.

     "Nick?" she called, but it was too late.

     "You know Nick?" questioned Mrs. Ivanov.

     "Sort of," Gia responded. How do you explain that you and a man spent the evening staring at one another across a restaurant, and then he paid for your meal, even though you never officially met.

     "Wonderful!" Mrs. Ivanov clapped her hands together. "I was trying to decide who your mentor would be, and had narrowed it down between him and Ben Nakamura. But I think this was fate, unless you have an objection to Nick?"

     "Oh, sure. Nick is fine. Though I have to admit, I don't really know him. I just saw him last week." Should she say more? She surely didn't want Mrs. Ivanov to think she had just made it all up, or that she was some sort of stalker, once she realized he didn't even know her name. Surely he was a nice guy, though, with the way he paid for their meals, so hopefully it would all work itself out.