37- MTF Conversation Hearts

Copyright © designschool 2021

All Rights Reserved

     "No way! This is too cute!" Allison looked at the shoebox decorated to look like a box of conversation hearts. "Where did you find this?"

     "I made it by taking pictures of a real box of conversation hearts, then blowing them up and printing them out." Gia smiled. "Do you think Nick will like it?"

     "Like it? He'll love it. Oh my gosh, you even made a cellophane window so you can see the heart shaped cookies inside. He's going to love it."

     "Thanks. I made some garland too, from pictures of the hearts, to hang on his desk. Do you think that's too much."

     "Nope, it's Valentine's Day, and from the look of those flowers he sent, I think he'll be happy for you to show him some love that way."

     Gia frowned and bit her lip.

     "What's wrong?"

     "We've never said the 'L' word to each other."

     Allison chuckled but quickly stopped when she could see Gia getting upset.

     "I mean, I'm fine with it, we've not dated that long, but it makes it awkward for valentines because most cards use the word love. In fact, I made a card with pictures on the Walgreens website so I could customize the wording. I also didn't make any cookies with that phrase on them. Is it weird to celebrate Valentine's Day when we've never said we love each other?"

     "No, really, you shouldn't worry about it. Way too many people use the word when it holds no meaning for them. What you should worry about though, is me stealing one of these adorable conversation heart shaped cookies."

     Reaching into her bag, Gia pulled out a container. "It's your lucky day. I brought a few extras." She winked at Allison and handed her two cookies. "Okay, I really need to get going if I'm going to put this in Nick's office while he's still gone for his meeting." She shoved the decorated shoebox back in her bag and pushed back from the break room table.

     "Gotcha. I'll get back too then so I can keep a lookout. I'll text you if he shows up."

     Excitement and and a bit of nerves filled Gia. Sure she'd had Robert the previous Valentine's Day, but this felt different, more serious, like the beginning of forever. What she wasn't expecting was to find Chelsea behind Nick's desk, working on his computer.

     Chelsea jumped up from the chair with wide eyes, before narrowing them. "Can I help you?"

     "Maybe I should ask you that?" Gia furrowed her brow and approached the desk.

     "Well, I'm fine thank you. I just needed to quickly get something." Chelsea closed out of the screen before Gia could see what was open, then she practically shoved past Gia without another word.

     Every time Chelsea was around it seemed to unnerve Gia. She dropped into Nick's guest chair and blew out a breath. "What just happened?" After placing the box of cookies on the desk, she went around it then rolled the chair back and noticed one of his desk file drawers was opened. Nick was fastidious about keeping his office tidy, and never left drawers open. She pulled it further open to see if anything looked in disarray, but all of the files were fully tucked into place. Tapping her finger to her chin, she wondered what she should do, but finally decided to worry about that after she draped the garland across the front of the desk and left the office, lest the surprise be spoiled if he got back before she finished.