5- MTF Feng Shui

Copyright © designschool 2021

All Rights Reserved

     "What's got you staring so hard at your phone?"

     "Hmm? Oh, it's an email I got yesterday at work," Gia answered her roommate while rubbing her forehead.

     "And...?"

     "It's... I don't know if I should do it." Evie was clearly confused by the cryptic words Gia was saying. "It's a mentoring program for kids who are in the foster care system, have been bounced around a lot, and need some consistency in their lives."

     "That's cool. I've dealt with some kids during my in class rotations who would fit that, and they absolutely need someone loving on them consistently."

     "Yeah, it sounds like a great program, I just don't know if it's for me or not. I'm only sure I'll be here for a year, so how is that consistent for a kid, if I end up leaving? Also, I just don't know if I'm emotionally equipped to help these kinds of kids."

     Evie moved from the kitchen table to the sofa next to Gia, and handed her a cup of hot tea. "I think you underestimate yourself. I know you think you're broken, and just getting by in life, but I have every confidence that you are going to continue to grow and move beyond your past. It may have affected who you are today, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. You're a caring person and a lot stronger than you think. The fact that you've come so far after your past experiences, might just be what some young person needs to hear. And who knows, you might be placed with someone in a similar situation to what you were, and you might be able to give them the courage to speak up. God can use your hurts and past to do great things. He sees beyond the limitations we set for ourselves." Evie noticed her roommate's eyes starting to glaze over, and she squeezed Gia's arm. "Hey, you okay? I will say, that if you do this, you should probably start seeing a therapist again. I can get you a name from the list of those the school recommends."

     Gia felt Evie's hand on her arm and worked to stay grounded in the moment. She nodded. "Yeah, you're right, I'll do that. The mentoring program has a location not too far from here. It's at the Harlem YMCA. They have Saturday hours. Would you be up to going by with me today, so I can talk to someone. Maybe that will help me decide."

     "Works for me. I don't have anything on my schedule for today."

~~~

     "Hi ladies. I'm Brad Thompson. The front desk told me you're interested in the Forever Friends program for young people in foster care."

     Gia side eyed her friend and tried to keep from laughing at the fact that Evie says guys named Brad are usually hot. Evie would definitely put this Brad in that category. The fact that he worked at a gym would be obvious to anyone, and he had the features that Evie usually raved about. Gia had to admit, he was good looking, but not as much as Mr. Bellanti. "Yes, I'm Gia. I'm trying to find out more about it, before I decide if it's something I can commit to. My friend Evie here, just came to keep me company.

     "Great! I can show you some of the areas the mentors use, and go over how it works." Brad started leading the way through the halls. We ask that mentors meet with their student once a week. You are welcome to get with them more. Sometimes in the summer, or when school is out, mentors will try to meet up more often. It's also always a good idea to try and go to some of their extra curricular events occasionally, if they have something they participate in, like sports, music, dance, or even academic clubs. Here we are." He pointed to an open door revealing a gymnasium. "This is a great place to shoot some hoops and let off steam. Mentors are able to use the facilities for free any day they meet up with their mentee. For each day you meet with them, you will also get a free pass that you can use another day at any one of the YMCA's of greater New York." He continued to show them locker rooms, a sauna, an indoor pool, exercise rooms, weight rooms, a lunge area, and even study corals that had been set up for the program.