20- She Wasn't Norman Rockwell

Copyright © designschool 2021

All Rights Reserved

     "How do I look?" Gia entered the living room to find Evie engrossed in her phone with a grin.

     "I'm sorry, what?" came Evie's delayed reply.

     Gia's mouth quirked up. "How's Matt doing?"

     "Huh?" Evie acted confused, but her expression morphed into a grin. "He's good. So, what's up."

     "Just wondering if I look okay. I had to dress in layers since Brian is taking me to look at the window displays after we have brunch and go to the Radio City Christmas Spectacular matinee at 1:30. I don't want to end up looking like a hobo or the Stay Puff marshmallow man."

     "Nope, I don't think Brian will mistake you for either," Evie chuckled.

~~~

     "Mmm." Gia closed her eyes and sighed as she chewed a bite of ricotta pancake. When she opened her eyes, Brian was smirking at her. She covered her mouth. "Sorry. I'm making noises aren't I?"

     "I think it's cute. I really do enjoy watching you eat. It's refreshing."

     "Refreshing? Oh, right. We've had this conversation before. I do like good food. Thanks for splitting both things with me. I enjoy having something sweet for brunch, but if I don't get some protein, my blood sugar drops and I crash." She stabbed her fork into the eggs Benedict. "I love that this eggs Benedict has salmon and potato latkes instead of ham and English muffins. Delicious."

     Brian chuckled and sipped his coffee. "So, you're spending time with Jolie tomorrow?"

     "Yep. She was fine with moving things around."

     "I'm glad. The Christmas Spectacular tickets were sold out for tomorrow, and I was determined to help you kick off the Christmas season before we got too far into December."

     Gia grinned. "I'm glad too. This is all so exciting for me. I've always wanted to see New York during the holidays! The parade at Thanksgiving was great too."

     A look of frustration flickered in Brian's eyes, and Gia grimaced, remembering that Thanksgiving was still a touchy subject. He'd desperately wanted her to meet his family, but she couldn't bring herself to go so soon in their relationship. She still wasn't even sure where she saw the relationship going.

     "What time do you think we should head over to Radio City?" Was it obvious she was trying to change the subject?

~~~

     "Thank you for taking me to the show. It was so much fun! I loved the way they made you feel like you were touring through the city with the set changes and movement. It's amazing what they can do with props and set design nowadays!"

     "You're absolutely welcome." Brian wrapped an arm around Gia's shoulders. "I like making memories with you!"

     His arm didn't bring her a feeling of comfort or safety like a certain employer's died, but she fought the urge to push him away. "Let's sit over here and watch for a few. If that line weren't so long, I'd beg you to go ice skating." Gia pointed to a bench facing the Rockefeller Center ice rink. The Christmas decorations were more elaborate than she had imagined, and she was thoroughly enjoying the holiday season in Manhattan. She wanted to soak it all up: the decor, the music, the sounds. How she wished she had her sketchbook right now. Sure she wasn't Norman Rockwell, but the scene before her had all the feels. One day soon she would come back and capture it. The thought of the idyllic life pictured in so many of his paintings swirled in her heart. So far her life had been far from that ideal, but she envisioned a future filled with a happy home: children, and a doting husband. One day she hoped to get there.