22- MTF Shame

Copyright © designschool 2021

All Rights Reserved

     Arriving twenty minutes early, Gia settled on a bench outside the Guggenheim. She wanted to make sure she arrived in plenty of time to catch Brian before he bought the tickets, but more than that, she needed time to gather her thoughts and courage. Attending church that morning had felt imperative. She'd not been as consistent as she had intended, but today she needed to feel God's presence in every way possible. Her plan was to tell Brian that he was a great guy, but she wasn't in a good place at the time. If he pressed, she would tell him that there were things from her past that she still struggled with, but she didn't feel comfortable sharing them. She sighed, and hoped he wouldn't push for more.

     After glancing around, Gia closed her eyes to spend a few minutes in prayer. Sensing a shadow falling over her, she opened her eyes, only to be frightened by Brian pressing his lips to hers. Shoving him back, she grabbed her purse and ran, only to be stopped by two arms wrapping around her and holding her in place.

     "It's just me. I'm so sorry, darling, I didn't mean to frighten you."

     Gia struggled to remove his hands from her, but he was too strong. She twisted and turned, with wild eyes. They were starting to gather attention.

     "Let go!" she screamed, her body beginning to shake.

     "Calm down. It's just me. It's just me."

     In a panic, Gia raised her knee to his crotch, causing him to let go. "Stay away!" she yelled as she darted off.

     Bumping into passersby , she ran: heart racing, and fear coursing through her. Her vision clouded and everything around her began to fade away. A few minutes later she stopped and stared up at the building before her, trying to make out where she was. Her mind was in a haze, edging in and out of the present, but she was aware enough to recognize Nick's building. She blinked in surprise. Had she subconsciously led herself here? Looking around her, she felt her body tense, and decided Nick was her best chance at feeling safe again.

     Thankfully the doorman recognized her in spite of her tear swollen face, and offered to call Nick down to retrieve her, after helping her to a seat. In her distress she couldn't even answer. Leaning against the wall she moved in and out of awareness and was surprised when Nick appeared before her.

     "Gia?" Nick crouched down and wrapped his arms around her. "What happened?" He looked her over. "Have you been attacked? Should I call 911?"

     She looked at him with tear filled eyes, and spoke not a word, but merely clung more tightly to him.

     After thanking the doorman, Nick scooped Gia into his arms and onto the elevator. By the time they reached his door, she was fully sobbing and shaking. She had once again been pulled into her personal hell. He stepped into his apartment and sat her down on the sofa, where he wrapped her in a plush throw, and pulled her close. "I've got you, Gia, I've got you." He continued to whisper words of comfort to her while rubbing circles on her back.

     Images in her mind flashed before her eyes. Unwelcome lips kissing her, a hand touching her in ways and places no one should. A familiar scent pulled her from the haze. She blinked back the memories and recognized Nick. Her shaking began to slow, and her breathing became more regular. It felt like hours had past, when she finally spoke, but all she could get out was one word. "Nick." It was barely a whisper, but it drew his attention instantly. She clung to him, trying to pull herself out of the dark well she felt like she was in.