prologue

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

                                                                              __________________

                                                                              __________________

"ALINNA." PARIS POKING MY RIBCAGE, causing me to shift uncomfortably in my seat. Keeping my eyes closed and head down I silently prayed she'd leave me alone.

"ALINNA!" Violently shaking me, Paris using her hands to start rubbing my hair, making certain hair strands stick up to wake me up. And it worked.

"OKAY fine I'm awake! Hands off the blowout please!" Pulling out a compact from my schoolbag, I turn to check and fix my hair. Giving her a glare, seeing how unkempt I looked, she returned my glare with a giggle. I deadpanned, hoping she'd stop laughing, but unfortunately, that made her laugh–hysterically. Her golden locks of curled hair shook along with her shoulders, with her arms hugging her stomach, she threw her head back. Laughing even harder.

"Paris it is literally not even funny, I don't know why you're laughing so hard." I stared in confusion but seeing her laugh made me start to laugh as well. Our laughing fit in the library ended shortly once our librarian, Ms.Francesca, shot us a deadly glare.

"Oops." Paris sheepishly said, giving Ms.Francesca an apologetic look, turning to me, she hits me in the shoulder with her fist. Hard.

"Ouch! What the hell was that for?" I rub my shoulders attempting to ease the pain.

"We were supposed to have a study session in the library, yet you decided to have a sleepover with those stack of books over there instead of helping me with my English paper." Whisper-yelling, Paris gives me a look of disappointment. Making my heart sink.

I hate letting people down.

"You're right Paris, I'm real sorry, it won't happen again." I reached over to hold her hand, she reluctantly holds my hand back. "I finished that creative writing piece last night though, I'll lend it to you later, is that okay?"

She squeals and jumped from her seat, wrapping her arms around me, squishing me.

"OH MY GOSH REALLY? THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH! YOU'RE THE BEST EVER!"

Wiggling out of her arms, I give her a tender look. "It's no problem Paris, I'm reall-"

I was cut off by my phone ringing. It was our principal–Mr.Howard. This was the phone call, giving me all of the information I would need to attend my dream school. I pick up my books, placing them in my bag, and answer the phone. Glancing at Paris I shoot her a sheepish look, mouthing the words "I'm sorry." And start packing up my things, heading out the front door.

Racing out to my car, I was greeted with a friendly shout, piercing my ears.

 "Alinna Windham! How are you!"

"Hello Mr. Howard, I'm doing great, and you?" My breath getting heavier, nervousness was evident in my voice. Placing my keys in the cupholder, my hands start to slightly shake while waiting on his answer.

"I'm doing fantastic, cutting right to the chase your application for Sicily's Sbocciare Accademia in the program for Advanced Arts & Design was chosen-"

Cutting off his sentence with a high pitched squeal.

"AHHH OH MY GOSH ARE YOU FOR REALS? NO WAY!"

"Alin-" Mr.Howard failing to cut off my girly shrieks, and desperately trying to grab my attention.

"THIS IS SO AMAZING"

"ALINNA" Raising his voice through the phone. Causing me to quickly settle down in my seat.

"As I was saying, your application was CHOSEN, but along with someone else."

I was visibly upset but confused.

What does this mean for me?

Placing my phone closer to my ear, Replying "Uhm well, uh...I know for a fact that the Academy only chooses ONE person." My breath getting shaky. I was so nervous about whatever he's about to tell me.

Mr.Howard deeply sighs, "Yes, I know, which is the problem. The school board simply cannot decide between you and another incredible student. I know it must be really confusing-"

I cut him off with one question.

"Who is the other student Mr.Howard?" With no hesitation in my voice, all the nervousness left my system. I pressed for an answer.

There's no way I'm up against someone else, How is that even possible? I'm practically top of my class. Who the heck am I competing with?

"Mason Cantley-"

Fuming– I hung up the phone, put my keys in the ignition, pulled out of the parking lot. And stepped on the gas.