chapter 005

AMIRA SHOOTS HIM A SUSPICIOUS look,

"Okay...so I still don't really know you. She turns and looks at me, mouthing "Do you know this man?" Not-so-subtly pointing to Dylan while pulling out her phone.

Time to face the music Alinna.

Turning around to face Dylan, I stammer. "Hey Dylan! Uh...Whatcha doin' here?"

Embarrassed I got caught, I lower my head down and my eyes zero in on the lavender checkered tile floor. It's not my fault really. I mean, I didn't intentionally mean to blow him off. Technically, I didn't even agree so... is it really blowing someone off?

Sorta.

"My little sister wanted to grab froyo with her friends so I drove them, not that it matters. But I mean, I would've appreciated if you at least told me you weren't interested going out with me, instead you ran off?" He frowned.

I quickly start apologizing, "I am so sorry Dylan. Really, I am. I've just been so caught up with school and-"

The door bell jingles, interrupting my apology. Suddenly a pair of arms hug my waist. Making me breathe in the familiar sandalwood scent. I knew exactly who this was.

Freaking Lukas.

Clearing his throat, he chimes in. "Me. She's also been caught up with me so... run along now." Smirking, he leans closer into my neck and whispers. "Just play along with it."

Annoyed, I harshly whisper back. "No Lukas, I just really wanna explain my-"

A pained look stretched across Dylan's face, he interrupts.

"No it's fine, really whatever. I just wish you should've told me you weren't available." It was clear he was uncomfortable. Hurt was evident in his voice. Before I could explain any further, he strolls out of the shop to meet his sister and her friends out front.

Flipping around I angrily shove back Lukas and sit down at the table where Amira was sitting. I loudly groan and place my head against the table with my arms covering my surroundings, making me see nearly pitch black. Amira's hand rubs my back in circles and I start mumbling incoherent profanities under my breath.

With my voice slightly muffled, I cry, "WHY. DID. YOU. DO. THAT? ACTUALLY–HOW DID YOU EVEN GET HERE? WE DIDN'T EVEN TELL YOU WHERE WE WERE GOING!"

I hear small shuffling until Lukas sputters. "I-I didn't know you wanted to talk to him. Alinna I'm sorry, Amira texted me where she was and told me that there was this weird guy and I thought you both were in trouble so I chased him away for you. Plus I'm..not alone"

Looking up, I notice Mason sitting right beside Lukas, scrolling through his phone.

I slam my head back down and groan, "Really? You thought we were in danger so you brought that idiot along with you?"