chapter 009

NODDING MY HEAD. "YES sir."

Mr.Howard turns his gaze to Mason, waiting for a response from him.

"Yes." He rolls his eyes and packs his bags early. Mr. Howard then clears for us to leave. I gather my things and bolt straight through the doors headed into the hallway elevator. Mr. Howard read over the progress report Amira gave and he came to a decision that if working together allows us to get stuff done, then we had to get used to each other. Mr. Howard was well aware of this little feud with Mason and me. He never understood it and said that since we're model students we were expected to set a "mature" example for the underclassmen. Upon hearing this, Mason didn't seem very excited or upset. But I guess you could never really tell how he's truly feeling when you're with him. I, on the other hand, wasn't very excited about working together with him–and I think I made that exceptionally clear when I threw my head back in the seat sighing. About 20 minutes later I leave the school and make my way towards my car. I settle into my Jeep and try to start my car. The keyword being 'try.' I sat there for a good chunk of time trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

For goodness sake can this day gets any worse?

I pick up my phone to call Amira only pausing when typing in her number as I remember she's in an interview to intern for our local town newspaper. I struggle to think of other people to call.

Benjamin?

No, he's babysitting his neighbor's baby.

Paris?

She's finally on a date with Ryan Whitmore, don't interrupt the date she's been dreaming of for your stupid car.

Lukas? He barely does anything.

Well yeah but he never answers his phone.

I can't call my parents either because I obviously don't want ANOTHER lecture about interrupting a meeting for something "minor." I slam my head against the steering wheel groaning loudly. A minute passes by and I'm pulled out of my thoughts when hearing someone's car keys jingle. Instantly I whipped around to see who's it was. I groan even louder.

Just ask Mason for a ride.

I pushed aside my pride and hopped out of the car. Before he drives off I get to his car in time. "Okay...here...me out." I pant. I place both of my hands on the hood of his car. He gives me a slightly annoyed yet amused look from seeing me run after him.

"What do you need Alinna?" He sighs. After I catch my breath I finally work up the courage to ask him for a ride home.

"Well since you know..." I start to play with my fingers out of nervousness. He gives me a look that tells me "No I don't 'know' what you're on about" I look up to the sky, huffing loudly. Walking up to the drivers' side window, I proceed to beg.

"I just REALLY need a ride please please pl-" Mason tries to interrupt me.

"Look oka-" 

"NO! Look I KNOW you hate me but jus-" My hands pleading, I don't stop arguing for a ride home for a good five minutes until I'm interrupted by an annoyed Mason.

"SHUT UP! Just get your shit and I'll drive you home." I perk up, not expecting he'd say yes. By the time I called a tow truck to pick up my car and get my things, Mason was already outside of the passenger side door waiting for me to get in. He opens the door for me and I settle inside the car.

I guess chivalry isn't dead.

I grin at Mason. "Aren't you such a southern gentleman? So kind."