chapter 016

"ARE WE ALL PACKED?" AMIRA SEARCHES THROUGH her basket for the eighth time. Today was the annual town basket-date event. Our town likes to go all out during the month of February–with new romantic events popping up every week. I, among many other lonely locals, despised this month. I wasn't a bitter single woman who flipped off newlyweds in her free time, but I hated the constant reminder that there were no eligible bachelors (or bachelorettes) for me. To put it simply, no one in this town was good enough. It wasn't like I was too good for everyone and that I had ridiculous standards, I was just...unimpressed. Is it a shame for wanting to be "wowed"?

"Yup! We gotta head to the town hall in like 15." My phone screen lights up with texts from Paris–showing off her extravagant basket with her gourmet five-star meals inside. Sometimes I wonder why I'm even participating, why would I want to do something that makes me feel miserable? But then I realize that all of the proceeds go to fund schools throughout our town. Public schools around here aren't really in "tip-top" shape. We wouldn't need to do these events if our town decided to prioritize education instead of funding more useless shopping mall complexes. As I start to walk to the vending machine, I catch a moving blurb of blue in the corner of my eye. Amira notices the same shadow and cautiously moves behind me.

Seriously?

Taking another step forward, the silhouette of a man steps away. I examine closer, trying to catch any distinctive qualities. As he tries hiding behind one of the brick pillars, his face pokes out–trying to see if we were still onto him. I knew that disheveled fluff of blonde hair all too well.

"Lukas!" My voice echoes throughout the courtyard. Amira and I left early to take cute pictures in front of the flower wall at the town square garden before we had to meet Ms.Dawn–who was basically in charge of every event since the beginning of time. Think of Ms.Dawn as that really involved PTA mom that chaperoned every field trip in middle school.

"Awh man..." Suddenly we hear shuffling feet, Lukas steps out of hiding and walks towards us. "I really thought I was being discreet too."

"What are you doing here?" Amira arches her brow, crossing her arms as she steps out from behind me.

"I just wanted to know what your basket looked like" Lukas confesses. My jaw slightly drops and my eyebrows shoot up. I was honestly not expecting that. Deciding to give them privacy, I left on my own to submit my basket. The town hall was a short walk across the street, making me arrive three minutes early. Flocks of people gathered around the entrance. Most of them were girls but very few boys that were there were swallowed in the crowd of lavish baskets. As one of the officiators opens the door, everyone impatiently races inside. The official event starts 20 minutes later, but those who were participating had to arrive early to set up.

"Damn, there's a lot of people this year" Aurora magically appears beside me. I uncomfortably shift away from her. Why was she speaking to me so casually?

"Yeah, there is." Her basket was filled to the top with sweets, specifically dark chocolate. Would it be a bad time to tell her that Mason doesn't like chocolate? Our small talk slowly came to an end when she rushes inside before me. Amira and Lukas shortly arrive after,

"Did we miss anything?" She asks, panting. I nod to the rushing crowd of participants and Amira dashes to the entrance.

**

"What?" There's no way this is happening. Aurora, Dylan, Mason, and I circle around Ms.Dawn as we digest the news.

"This was supposed to be anonymous selection, but if I allowed you to switch baskets then I'd have to do that for everyone else." She points to her checklist, "I've already submitted your names anyways, you all must abide by the rules"