chapter 003

"TWO MINUTES LEFT ON THE CLOCK!" My English teacher, Mrs

"TWO MINUTES LEFT ON THE CLOCK!" My English teacher, Mrs.Kinsley, points to her interactive white-board with a large timer loudly ticking down the remainder of the time. She waltzes around the classroom, looking over everyone's papers as they write in their answers.

I already finished my test 30 minutes ago–so I start picking at my nail polish since I'm so freaking bored. Patiently waiting, I start tapping my fingers, and my feet. I just can't keep still. As I started messing with my rather long straight brunette hair, a small paper airplane hits my back, frightening me.

Why are you always so jumpy? Chill out.

I can't help it, idiot.

Taking a deep breath, I turn around to see who threw it at me, and to my surprise, it was Dylan Santoro. Dylan is a baseball star who also happens to take Computer Science classes at our local university. With unruly auburn hair and small curls framing against his forehead, not to mention beautiful hazel eyes, it was obvious that he caught the attention of lots of girls.

I guess he caught my attention too.

He throws me a casual smile and I return the same. I bend down to pick up the papercraft and delicately open it up.

"Wanna grab coffee later after school @ Candlewood Cafe?" Was written in neat print handwriting, below it was a poorly drawn image of a stick person couple sitting in a cafe drinking a can? A vase? Looking back up, I couldn't help but flush under his warm gaze.

This is so cute. Aww.

He's a real shit drawer though, glad he's taking classes in Computer Science and not AP Art.

"TIME IS UP! Pencils down and turn your papers into the bin, whatever you have, completed or not, will be graded as a test grade."

Standing up, I pushed my chair in and started packing my belongings. Neatly folding the paper airplane, and sliding it in my leather schoolbag. I made my way to the bright blue bin of papers and gently placed it on top of the others. Taking another deep exhale, feeling so much better after finishing that test.

Stepping outside of my English class I headed down to Mr.Howard's office. A familiar voice called out for me down the hall, spinning around to see who's it was. It was Dylan. n"So is that a Yes?"

I pretend to play dumb because I want to hear exactly what he wanted, even though I was already mentally planning my outfit to hang out with him.

 "Hmm I'm not exactly sure what you're on about? Details please?"I quipped.

Arching his eyebrow, Dylan came closer to me, looking down at me and in a low voice he insisted. "Meet me after school Alinna."

The look he gave left no room for arguing, his eyes searching for an answer in mine. Hesitant on what to answer with I just stood there dumbfounded. Boys asked me out occasionally, but I never got the chance to say 'yes' to anyone because I've been caught up with school applications and extracurriculars...

Wait- school applications...

"SHOOT!" My voice carried down the corridors of our school, echoing loudly, scaring Dylan.

Furrowing his eyebrows he examines my face. "Whoah what?"

Confused, He backs away, allowing room for me to race down the hallways. The sound of my ebony designer heels clatter against the dark grey marble floors. The principal's office is all the way across the school at the highest section, the sixth floor. Pacing and making all sorts of sharp turns, I finally reach the C wing, seeing the elevator I sprint towards the doors. Just as the elevator opens allowing me a little bit of time to catch my breath. Upon reaching the doors I realized that four other people were left waiting to go to their destination, which all happened to be on the floors below. Lowering my head, I entered the elevator, deeply sighing.

Why the hell didn't I go sooner?

Glancing at my watch I mentally high-five myself. Only 3:40pm, Which means that if it takes 10 minutes for each person that would be 40 minutes, so at the end, it would be around 4:20-ish. But it'd probably take me 15 minutes to get to Mr.Howard's Office, so I guess I better start preparing to sprint then. I pull out my iPhone and plug in my headphones, and started to listen to music to pass the time. While I mindlessly scroll through social media, something catches my eye. Mason Cantley and Aurora Robins in a side-hug selfie on Snapchat. When does Mason Cantley side-hug people?

More importantly, Alinna, why do you care?

Ugh. Whatever. I don't care. Turning off my phone, I stand with my headphones plugged in, blasting whatever song is on my Spotify playlist. Humming along to the tune of "Shake it Off" by Taylor Swift, the ring of the elevator pulls me out of my thoughts. Finally, the last person is out. Getting another glimpse of my watch I realize I'm leaving earlier than planned. 4:00pm is almost perfect for me to arrive early, and have some time to straighten myself out. As soon as the doors close I quickly press the rusty button with the words 'FLOOR SIX' on it. While waiting I pull out my compact and reapply my lipgloss and mascara. As each second passes by, I grow increasingly anxious.

What if Mr.Howard is gonna give us both bad news?

What if...

What if Mr.Howard's gonna tell me that the school board has decided that I'm the one that's not going?

Brushing all my nervous thoughts and jitters away, Deciding that no matter what's gonna happen, I'm gonna walk in there with confidence and hold myself high. Watching the number panel slowly go up, I struggle even more to shake off my doubts. The words 'FLOOR SIX' glows red against the elevator panel, the usual ding opens up the doors. Grabbing my things–I bolt out of the entrance. Ignoring the awkward stares bystanders gave me, I made it five minutes earlier than expected. I fixed up my school tie and brushed out my skirt, hoping to look at least a bit professional. I hear a disembodied voice, panting? Mason Cantley came rushing to Mr. Howard's door not even 30 seconds after me.

In a breathy tone, he stutters,

"I-I'm her-here. Damn, this s-school is too big for it's o-own good." Clearly exhausted, he bent down, placing his toned hands on his knees.

Huh, what was he doing that made him late?

The massive spruce wood doors opened up revealing Mr.Howard. Mason stands up straighter, attempting to make himself look more presentable. Turning around to face him, I reach out to firmly shake his hand.

"Hello Mr.Howard!"

Flashing me a bright grin, he then extends his hand out to Mason.

He drones, "Good afternoon Sir."

Mr.Howard pulls away and claps his hands together, giving us a wide beam.

"Okay kids, I know ya'll have been dying to know what I called you in for so come inside!"

He holds open the towering carved spruce doors and I make my way inside and settle into one of his office chairs. Mason doing the same, as we both wait for Mr.Howard to come inside, we eyed each other. No words were spoken but it was still just as overwhelming.