13 - The Calm Before the Storm

Just as Gandalf predicted, Thorin sought to continue us on our way early in the morning, aiming to reach Erebor with plenty of time to spare before Durin's Day arrived. We would hike a path up the Misty Mountains, pause midway at a safe spot, and wait for the wizard to catch up. All companions, myself included, agreed unanimously over our late dinner.

Before sunrise was when I stirred from my restful slumber. Bilbo slept nearby, so I carefully tiptoed to avoid waking him. But, it was pointless to bother with the same level of courtesy towards the dwarves. They wouldn't hear me no matter what I did, nor would they hear birdsong, or waterfalls, or leaves rustled by the wind. Their snores drowned out all.

Of course, despite the time, I wouldn't try to wake them in the first place. My companions needed those last few precious moments of sleep for the journey ahead. I would make sure they had them, so I left them be. My feet carried me away from camp with equal amounts of haste and grace.

Upon reaching my destination, my room, I dressed in my usual travel attire. A note accompanied the freshly washed and mended clothing, addressed from Arwen. My sister had left sometime the prior morning on a journey to Lothlórien, but not before writing me a letter to wish me good fortune on my journey.

"We will see each other again, and it won't be centuries later this time. I promise," were the words I inked on a separate parchment, finished with a signature. The letter found itself in her chambers, on a chest. That was also where I left the borrowed apparel.

Now properly dressed, my belongings needed to be gathered. Glamdring. My hammer and daggers. My bow, my quiver. Two good-sized journals, both with hardly a word etched on the inside; I wouldn't dare forget a quill. Plus, a surplus amount of coinage in case Nori decided to have another go at betting against me.

And he always had something to gamble on.

Anything not of importance I stowed away in spare chests and cupboards.

Done with my room, I stepped through the door, took one last look at my quarters, and headed off to the nearest water source.

My next task of the day: my hair. It had become a disheveled mess since I had failed to care for it throughout our entire stay.

Reaching a fountain, I inhaled, dunked my head under the water, and pulled it out with a mighty swing. Thousands of water droplets rained down on the surrounding stone. I worked quickly to untangle my long locks, snarling at my brush multiple times. When it came time to braid, I switched to my nimble fingers.

Possessing a mind of their own, they decided to try a new style.

The welcoming crack of sunlight met me just as I returned to camp. Bilbo was currently awake and packing up his bedroll with all the excitable energy of a rabbit. The dwarves, on the other hand, let their minds become possessed by varying levels of grogginess and grumpiness as they rose from their slumber to get packing.

Bilbo noticed me approaching, and his eyes turned several shades brighter when he did.

"Wow. Your hair looks lovely this morning, Rose."

My face turned several shades redder. "You're too kind, Bilbo. Just thought I'd try something a bit more suitable for trekking across the Misty Mountains."

"More suitable?"

"Indeed. Not very wise to traverse across them with my hair thrashing this way and that in the harsh winds and freezing rain." I helped Dori and Ori with their bedrolls. "The visibility will already be reduced enough as is."

The hobbit swallowed back the lump in his throat. "Sounds like you've been across the mountains quite a few times. You must know them well."

"I do indeed. As a matter of fact," I peered back at him, "I was born there."