11 - She's a Mystery, to Say the Least

For my purposes, a small courtyard outside the barracks would do nicely. The stone platform had a collection of straw dummies lined neatly on one edge. I slashed at my immobile opponents with all my might, trying every hand gesture possible to evoke the powers of my rings.

After my fruitless efforts, I pulled away and lifted my hands, gazing between the jewelry pieces.

"As long as I will it?"

Eyeing the closest dummy, I thrust my sword hand towards it.

"I am willing it!!"

But, as usual, nothing happened.

I glared at the ring bestowed by my father. "My dear, Vilya. Show me. How did father harness your power to protect me, and Arwen, and everyone here in Rivendell? What even is your power?"

The moonlight reflected off Vilya's gemstone.

"Yes, I'm aware that my grandmother's blood courses through my veins, as does my mother's. But I want to know what that means for me. They've all said I can harness this cursed power just like they did, but how? How?!"

My roar echoed through the trees, making me realize I let myself get a little too worked up.

But, I wanted to figure the solution. The power I need to protect someone? How do I access it?

Because this time, it'd be most useful.

That's when my gaze fell to my other ring, and I pulled that hand up to my chest. "I promised to protect them, so this is where this power would matter most. Please, both of you." I flickered between the two. "Please help me find the strength to protect all of them."

But naturally, neither ring responded, sparking a burst of anger.

With a sudden mighty swing, I decapitated the nearest dummy. The head fell to the ground with a thud, while I stared at Glamdring and studied the shimmering blade. "Maybe a moving target might prove a good distraction, huh?"

Using my ears, I followed the noise of clinging metal. Nearby, a trio of soldiers was busy sparring.

"You three!"

They all stopped right where they stood and lowered their weapons.

"Lady Elentári?"

"Apologies for interrupting your training session, but I hoped you three might be able to join mine. I'm having trouble getting my head straight."

"You want to fight all of us?"

"That's correct. Please choose whatever weapons you work best with. As for myself, I'll stick with this lovely sword I recently came upon. My hammer will be on standby, and..." As I fastened my hammer to my back, I noticed the three elves exchanging hesitant glances. "Is something the matter?"

The elf in the middle stepped forward. "Pardon me, milady, but it may be quite foolish to go and get yourself outnumbered on purpose."

My eyebrows scrunched together in annoyance. "What are you getting at?"

"Perhaps one or two of us will do. We'd hate to harm you in any—"

Before he finished his sentence, the young elf found himself sprawled out on the ground. I had disarmed him, knocked out his feet, and threw him into the cold stones without so much as breaking a sweat.

"Don't fret." I raised my sword and moved my feet into a suitable fighting stance. "I doubt the three of you can do much damage if any at all, but you're welcome to try. As I said, I need a good distraction. Try not to disappoint."