4 - The World Ahead

Right at the crack of first light, I sprung from my chair. However, I saw nobody, and there were no signs of a large and hurried breakfast. But a faint smell of eggs and bacon? The fearful mess from the night before disappeared, with piles of washed crocks, pots, and pans in the kitchen. The washing-up was so real that I could've believed last night never occurred.

Opening the front door, the bright morning sun came burning down, blinding me. I held my hand up to aid my vision through the light. I stepped outside to admire a beautiful red rose, plucking it from a bush in the garden—the garden of Bilbo's house.

"Oh, it wasn't a dream," I frowned, forcing myself to enjoy the warm, peaceful breeze as I gently twirled the flower in my hand. I do love roses, especially ones grown by hobbits.

Gandalf appeared. "No, it was not, and it's about time for that quest. Are you ready?"

I remembered signing the contract, groaning slightly. "Certainly. Where are the others?"

"Oh, well, come along then. The dwarves all thought it was unnecessary to disturb your esteemed repose, so they went off in advance to prepare and get ponies and horses for everyone."

We walked down the path as I questioned him. "All the dwarves?"

"As far as I could tell, yes." That's a load of hogwash!

I worked to brush out my long hair, getting rid of the tangles. "You did tell them that I don't actually sleep, right?"

"And you did tell them that you're an elf, am I correct?" I'll shut my mouth now. The wizard continued speaking. "We're supposed to be meeting them at the Green Dragon Inn. If I recall, you do remember where it is?"

It was only a short walk down the lane, past the Mill. "Yes, of course, Gandalf, it's right down the road. I left my horse there—" My memory went back to the stallion I had left at the stables the previous night, and I panicked. "Gandalf! I already have a horse so—"

He cut me off. "Don't worry, I made sure to let them know. I saw the horse on my way in."

I gave a sigh of relief. "Bless me." Just as I finished my hair, we made it to the Green Dragon.

Just in time, too, for all the others came around the corner of the road. They were on ponies, and each was slung about with all kinds of bags, sacks, packages, parcels, and paraphernalia. Adding to the ponies, my fantastic grey horse rode alongside a chestnut-colored one.

However, I didn't see Bilbo among the riders. "Is Bilbo really not coming?" I looked at the wizard, who had a blank face.

I received a gruff answer from the leader of the company. "The hobbit has not decided to rise from his bed. I don't think he will be joining us on this quest," Thorin said. He then proceeded to help the other dwarves mount their ponies.

"Good morning to you too," I groaned under my breath.

"There's no need to be snappish, lass," Balin said in a very gentle tone, leading my horse straight to me. "He's not much of an early riser."

We both snickered, out of earshot of the grumpy dwarf, before Balin went off to help the others.

After securing my belongings to my horse's saddle, I rubbed his white nose. "My dear Arod, they didn't do anything to you, right?" He neighed back and brushed his muzzle against my forehead. "I'm glad." His speckled coat was beautiful, running my hands through his long, coal-colored mane. Seeing Thorin mounting his pony nearby, I grinned. "I wouldn't forgive those nasty dwarves if they treated you badly."

The dwarf shot me a look. "Enough babbling. Up you get, and off we go!"

Ignoring his rudeness, I mounted Arod and adjusted the placement of my weapons.