9 - Let's Talk, Elf to Dwarf

After an intense staring contest, Thorin broke the silence with a hostile growl. "So, this is your home?"

"Used to be," I answered as I tilted my face back to bask in the warm sunshine. The dwarf's eyes lingered on my carefree expression, finding it odd since I recovered from a deadly poison only moments ago. "Haven't been back in centuries."

We passed through the gardens on our way to dinner, going slow to give more time for our inevitable argument. The dwarf sneered not only at me but at every stone, window, and column we passed. The mere atmosphere of this elf sanctuary offended him.

"And, you're truthfully one of them?"

"A marvelous way to keep this conversation going."

He ignored my tone. "Why did you lie?"

I shrugged. "As I recall, I never admitted to being a human."

"Did the wizard know?"

"He's the one who invited me to come. You tell me."

My snappy answers quickly got on his nerves. "And the halfling?"

This response didn't come as quickly as the others. "No. He didn't."

He seemed surprised. "And my nephews?"

"No doubt, they would've told you if they knew. Don't you think?" I shot him a look.

Considering his young, loud-mouthed sister-sons, he begrudgingly agreed to my remark with a short nod. "Nevertheless, you hid the truth from us. I demand an explanation, woman. I believe it's owed."

I scoffed. "Apologies, dwarf, but I don't owe you anything."

Thorin stopped walking and turned to look back at me.

"My job as a guard isn't to tell you my secrets. It is to get you and your kin all to the mountain unharmed or die trying. Is it not? There's nothing in the job description about giving you every little detail about me and my past. That's on a need-to-know basis." I sighed. "And I hardly think you need to know. I do think that, if anything, you are the one who owes an apology."

"For what?!"

"Are you dull?! You accused me of blabbing about the quest and brushed aside my concerns on camping in such a dangerous spot. Look what happened because of it. If you had simply listened, perhaps we could have avoided being nearly squashed by trolls," I thrust my injured shoulder forward, "or avoided having arms shot off. That has to be worth a decent apology."

He blinked, and then he spat. "I would rather die before apologizing to you."

My lips pressed together, for I realized how much I overestimated his humanity. My admiration of the dwarves completely blindsided me from Thorin's true nature whenever elves were concerned. Admittedly, it was partly my fault for keeping my heritage secret, but that doesn't excuse his behavior, especially after what I nearly sacrificed.

Getting an apology out of Thorin would require a miracle, and I just cheated death.

I huffed. "Alright. If there won't be any apologizing, then we're done here."

"I guess we are."

Holding back a snarl, I shoved past him and headed for the courtyard. Of course, I couldn't leave without having the last word. "Considering I just about lost my arm for you," I called without looking over my shoulder, "I would've expected a prince, no matter what race, to be a little grateful for such an act.

"But I guess I was mistaken."

I turned a corner, leaving Thorin to himself.

Father typically fed and entertained his guests at the central courtyard. The space held plenty of room for tables laden with food, musicians to help liven the atmosphere, and decorative statues and plants. It was an ideal place to host a group of rowdy dwarves, plus a halfling.