20 - Queer Lodgings

The sun beamed in through the window. I squinted my eyes to ignore the brightness, and I shifted onto my other side. Everyone else remained fast asleep, except for Gandalf. He had risen some time ago and moved to a resting spot near the back door. I yawned, got myself up, took a moment to stretch my arms, and went over to the wise wizard.

"Has Beorn shifted back to a man yet?"

"Indeed. He's outside chopping wood. See for yourself."

A burly man stood outside with a thick beard and hair, and great arms and legs with knotted muscles. He was clothed in a tunic of wool down to his knees, and he chopped firewood with an ax in his front garden. His nine-foot stature was nothing short of terrifying. Also, the ax seemed a tad excessive when he clearly possessed the ability to tear logs apart by hand.

"And it would be wise to introduce ourselves at some point," continued Gandalf.

I felt hesitant to agree. "I'm not sure how wise that would be."

"Says the one who approached him in his bear form."

Thorin's boots hit the wooden planks with vigor as he marched into the kitchen behind us.

"It's not like I'm a child," I said with the tiniest pout. "You don't need to keep an eye on me."

"Two eyes, actually," said Gandalf. "As often as you can spare them, please."

"Gandalf!"

Thorin stifled a laugh.

Once the rest of the dwarves awoke, Gandalf gathered everyone near the back door and brought them all up to speed on the current situation. They bickered back and forth over how we would introduce ourselves, considering Beorn's known dislike for dwarves, and if introducing ourselves to the particularly fearsome host was even worth the risk.

"I say we leg it. Slip out the back way," suggested Nori.

"I'm not running from anyone," hissed Dwalin. "Beast or no."

"Now—!"

"There is little point in arguing," said the wise wizard, quelling the fight before it began. "We cannot pass through the wilderland without Beorn's help. We'll be hunted down before we even get to the forest. Rose, please go get Bilbo. We'll need him."

I went over to find Bilbo lying in a pile of hay outside the goat pen.

"Bilbo? Bilbo, wake up."

When I tapped his shoulder, he jumped like a mouse.

"Sorry! Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

"Oh, uh, not a problem. I was already awake, actually." He yawned, rubbed his eyes, and looked around. "Where's everyone?"

"Planning our own funeral it seems. And we need your help for that."

The hobbit swallowed back the lump in his throat.

Gandalf's face lit up as Bilbo and I approached him. "Ah, Bilbo, there you are. We can begin.

"Now, this will require some delicate handling. We must tread very carefully, as the last person to have startled Beorn was torn to shreds." Everybody flinched a little. "I will go first, alone." He turned to leave but stopped before even getting a toe outside. "Oh, maybe that's not such a good idea. Bilbo, and Rose, too. You both come with me."

"Is this a good idea?" Bilbo asked.

"Yes. Now, the rest of you wait here and don't come out until I give the signal."

"Wait for the signal. Got it!" Bofur replied, sitting at a window to get a clear view of everything outside.

"No sudden movements or loud noises. Don't overcrowd him. Only come out in pairs." After another failed attempt at going outside, the wizard turned back. "No, actually, uh, Bombur, you count as two so you should come out alone."