16 - Beater and Biter

The goblin slid the sword a few inches out of the sheath. Recognizing the weapon immediately, it shrieked in horror and threw it onto the ground. It landed in view of all the other goblins. They all scurried away, climbing over each other to get away from the weapon.

Even the goblin king ran to his throne, trampling many of his minions. He gave a truly awful howl of rage as he pointed. "I know that sword! It is the Goblin Cleaver, the Biter, the blade that sliced a thousand necks!"

That moment turned into hell.

In their anger, the guards attacked us in earnest. They gnashed their teeth, clashed their shields, and stamped. They brought out their whips and claws and knives. The one wielding the nine-tailed whip sent it in my direction, but Thorin blocked the blow with his armored shoulder.

"Slash them, beat them, kill them! Kill them all!"

Thorin got quickly separated from the company, the rest of whom fought for their lives with bare hands. In the confusion, Thorin managed to fight off a couple assailants, but then twenty more outmatched him and pinned him to the floor.

"Cut off his head!"

One goblin pulled out a knife.

No!

There was a terrific flash like lightning, a smell like gunpowder, and a pulsing sensation from within my fingertips. The chain cuffs around my wrist turned to ashes, and the goblins around me fell dead. Everyone seemed to be blinded. I dashed over to Thorin, tearing away any of the vile creatures latched onto him, and especially disarming the one with the knife.

A powerful shockwave ripped through the area, flinging goblins in the air and destroying the torture machines. Everyone was knocked off their feet, even the Great Goblin. I shielded Thorin's body from any falling debris or goblins.

When the force of the explosion passed, most of the lights had been snuffed out. In the background, a shadow with a pointy hat walked up. It was Gandalf, holding his staff. Light slowly returned to the area as we recovered from the shock. We stared at the wizard towering over us.

"Take up arms," he said. "Fight. Fight!"

I hopped onto my feet and raced for the weapons. Several goblins ran straight at me, but they were too late. They were promptly struck down by Glamdring, its bright blade glimmering in the dim lights of the cave.

"She wields the Foe-Hammer, the Beater, bright as daylight! Even worse than the Biter!" howled the Great Goblin.

I mowed down goblin after goblin while the dwarves retrieved their weapons.

The Great Goblin angrily ran for Thorin and swung his staff.

"Thorin!"

Reacting in time, Thorin jumped forward and deflected the blow. This caused the Great Goblin to stumble backward and fall off the edge of the platform, falling to the depths below.

A goblin suddenly jumped on my back, while another clawed at my hand—the one with a dwarf key clenched tightly within its grasp.

Thorin yanked the first goblin off my back. The other I flattened with my hammer. The dwarf then pushed me forward and roared, "Go!" as Gandalf took off down another wooden bridge just beyond the throne.

"Follow me. Quickly!" he called to the company.

We wasted no time following.

Aside from the initial excruciation of the whip, my running caused pain like I was not quite accustomed. Every step I took sent sharp jabs through the wounds on my back until it all blurred together into an agonizing, cramping pain that spread across my shoulders and down my spine.