19 - With Friends Like These...

From the moment he first returned from the river, Thorin consulted with Gandalf on the best course of action. He took repeated headcounts of his company, and each time he came up one head short; he knew not to count Bilbo after learning that Gandalf sent him on a scouting mission.

No, it wasn't Bilbo missing; it was me.

Thorin had wondered where I had gone, so he inquired about the matter to his nephews.

"She took her turn down at the river," responded one.

"And she asked to not be disturbed," said the other.

Their uncle responded to their usual mischievous tone in his usual gruff manner. "I wasn't planning on it."

Eventually, I returned from the river. Oin treated the wounds on my back, and Balin gifted me his cloak as extra protection for my injuries. Thorin wondered why his heart suddenly beat just a little too fast when he saw me twirling 'round and 'round in that dwarven cloak. He never imagined seeing an elf excited to wear dwarf garments; then again, he never imagined meeting an elf who chooses to associate with dwarves.

How in Durin's name does that fit her so well?! He kicked himself for thinking it.

Fortunately, his large ears picked up the pitter-patter of bare feet on stone.

It was a distraction, and a timely one at that!

Thorin spotted his hobbit coming down the mountainside and darted over to him. "How close is the pack?"

"Too close! Couple of leagues ... no more ... that is not the worst of it." He was out of breath.

"Have the wargs picked up our scent?" Dwalin asked.

"Not ... but they will. There's ... another problem."

Another? I asked myself.

"Did they see you?" Gandalf asked. "They saw you, didn't they?"

"No," breathed Bilbo. "That's not it."

"See, what did I tell you?" replied the wizard with a relieved smile. "Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material."

"Will you listen ..." Bilbo looked exasperated when nobody paid him attention. "Will you just listen?! I'm trying to tell you there is something else running around out there!"

"What form did it take?"

The hobbit spun around to look at me.

"Like a bear?"

"Ye ..." Bilbo stopped, making a curious face. "... Y-Yes? But it was bigger. Much bigger."

Everyone's round eyes locked onto me. Bofur asked the question on their minds.

"You knew about this beast?"

I swallowed back the lump in my throat as I moved closer to Gandalf. "We need to get to the house."

"Rose. No."

"He lives nearby. It's a guaranteed shelter if we're quick enough."

"He will hunt us down before we even reach the forest. There's no chance."

"There is a chance that he'll also pick up on our pursuers' putrid odor, and if he does, it might slow him down just enough. It's risky, but if we make it there, we'll be safe for a little while and we can maybe get some rest."

Gandalf's hairy eyebrows rose. "That is if he allows us to rest at his home."

I pursed my lips. "We'll get a head start at the very least."