⌞1⌝

Aurora was thirteen when she first got thrown into the glade, the youngest of the lot and the only girl. There was nineteen other people that arrived on that same day, each with a bag of supplies that where essential. Aurora had a little bigger bag, whoever threw them in there at least had a little decency as they had gave her many pairs of underwear and bra's as well as tampons, brushes, a razor and pretty much anything a girl would need.

Inside those four walls was a shack, small but big enough to fit twenty people. Many trees where scattered around and also a variety of other buildings that looked worn down. Her and Alby, a boy with chocolatey skin made friends instantly. No one could remember where they came from or who they really where, all anyone knew was their names and some knew their ages. Alby was sixteen, three years older than the girl he befriended.

From that day on he took it upon himself to keep her safe, like an older brother if you will. Since Rory didn't know her family she somewhat accepted the fact that Alby was the closest thing she will have to a sibling in what everyone assumed was a long time. For the first few days many people questioned Rory, mainly because she was a girl and wanted to know why she was put in a group with a bunch of boys.

Rory knew the risks that could come with that yet she stayed open and honest, answering all of their questions about her or girls in general although she couldn't answer on behalf on other girls because she didn't know. The boys learned to respect the young girl, multiple times she punched someone for trying to poke her or play with her hair so they all sort of backed off. Except Alby who was the exception.

For the first week every night Alby would do Rory's hair, albeit not very good at first he quickly mastered the skills of braiding and fish-tailing her hair. Everyday a group of five would head out to explore the surrounding areas, to work out what they had to do. It was obvious that they had to escape the four walls through the huge concrete gates that opened daily but no one wanted to believe that dark passage way was their only way.

Eventually they gave up looking and started setting up jobs for everyone, 11 jobs exactly. Runner, builder, slicer, cook, track-hoe, med-jack, slopper, bricknick, blood housers, baggers and map makers. Rory took on the role as med-jack and Alby took on the role as runner. Runner was undoubtedly the scariest job of them all. They had to treck through the maze and memories the direction, also with it changing over night.

By the time the first twenty reached a month in the glade everyone got used to their roles, no one dead and starting miniscule traditions within the glade. Everyone carved their name into one of the four concrete walls to serve as a memory if anything bad was to happen to any of them. Also on that month the box came back up with a new person, one who couldn't remember anything just like the rest.

One year into surviving the glade everyone was used to the usual routine of getting up, eating breakfast that the Slicers had killed the previous night, doing the job you where assigned (which happened to be slightly boring for Aurora as she only really had to do with a small cut when one of the builders hurt themselves), eating lunch, doing your job then sleeping which was proving to get more difficult.

The first twenty people in the glade gave up their blankets so others could use them as hammocks while the originals got a small mattress in the shack. Everyone was adapting and the whole 'living inside a box' thing was getting easier especially with a some-what calm group. Boys obviously still fawned over Rory since she was still the only girl amongst thirty one guys. 

Aurora also took on the roll of keeping dates as she remembered the month that they all where thrown into the metal box and sent to the maze. It was august, date? she wasn't really sure so she just said it was the first. They celebrated Christmas with a special meal and no one working, they celebrated birthdays by the days they came up by so the first twenty chose when they wanted their own celebration.

They where creating a slightly dysfunctional family that had no parents yet more and more siblings seemed to keep popping up randomly. By the time a month and a half came around they had lost their first person, Wes, he was a runner. One of the nice ones too, the Gladers had a little funeral and set up a small tombstone as well as carving a line through the boys name, Rory cried a lot. The two where like best friends, he often visited her when he wasn't running. 

The next month the box rose once again and everyone rushed over, inside was a boy who looked around the age of fifteen, dirty blonde hair. Rory jumped into the box and shook the boy awake gently, it took a few hours for his name to come to him but he was called Newt. He was quickly assigned to the 'runners' as he was fast and fit for the job, Rory felt bad for him. He seemed scared to go into that place.

She made it her job to make sure Newt had a friend in the glade. She made sure he had all his equipment every morning and gave him a kiss on the cheek for encouragement which always made him blush. She would also wave him off every morning and greet him in the evening if she didn't have a person to care for so when newt didn't come back at his normal time Rory was starting to get worried for her new found friend.

 She would also wave him off every morning and greet him in the evening if she didn't have a person to care for so when newt didn't come back at his normal time Rory was starting to get worried for her new found friend

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚authors note**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚

- You all know what's happening next chapter right? Anyway its only one chapter in and I'm already in love with this story and how much Rory cares about newt even though the two have only just met!

- Leave ideas of what you want to see from Rory and Newt, also leave ship names because i currently down have one

- Drink water, eat some food and get some rest my lovelies <3