Chapter 3 - the crops

2 weeks later...

"Have I missed something?" Rick sighed, walking through the tomato crops, "We're not producing enough food."

I shook my head, recounting every tomato, "We have enough tomatoes that is for sure. The crops are growing very well, though," I sighed, shifting my weight with a clipboard in hand I wrote down the exact number of crops.

"We need to ask Maggie for a trade, again." Rick says after a moment, running his hand through his short hair, "She won't like it, she gave us our food for the spring and is expecting us to grow enough produce to feed everyone..." I mumbled, entwining our hands as we walked down the walk way in the farm. "But we will starve if we don't get something. The Saviors crops are dying and they are starving in itself. We need to go now." Rick says, yelling at Michonne in the distance, "We need to round up a few people, head to Hilltop!"

I paused, squeezing his hand, "Wait, how's the bridge going?"

Rick shook his head as we walked down the street to the gate, "I'm worried we won't have it done by winter. If we don't the caution is too high to cross it with our wagons to hilltop."

"Then we rush them, get some more workers and supplies. Remember about the huge museum a town away? I heard they had a old wagon and some things we could use." I nod, "We could go?"

Rick slowly nods in agreement as we all go grab our horses. I hop on the back of his as we ride towards hilltop.

-

"Open the gates!" Rick says as I held onto him, the large Hilltop gates was slowly swung open.

Hilltop almost seem to thrive and grow more with people, crops, and life as we jump off our horses, walking through.

The first person I see is Maggie.
And her son, Hershel.

"Maggie! Hey!" I smiled, waving to her she smiled to us, "Come up here! The views beautiful!" She yells to Rick and I.

He entwines our hands, walking us into the large museum.

We walked up the velvet stairs and seeing the deck where Maggie had Hershel on her lap, bouncing him. "Come in," she smirked, "It's fine."

We step out on the deck,  I step away for a moment. Letting them talk as Rick bounced Hershel on his hip, "We... I'm sorry Maggie but we need some more food for the coming winter." Rick sighed.
"The Sanctuary aren't making enough?" Maggie asked calmly.
"No, the corns all dry and the soil isn't good. I'm sorry for asking Maggie." Rick shook his head, letting Maggie take Hershel.

"We need fuel in return." Maggie says sternly.
Rick cocked his head worriedly, "Maggie we don't have any supplies for that-"
Maggie glared slightly, tapping her foot, "You get us the dead corn to make fuel, and I'll give you your rations. You have a week."

Rick nods in agreement, "again, we're sorry."

Maggie shrugged. "It's all good."

I sighed, running my hand down my face. "Thank you, a lot." I smiled to her, which she hugs me, patting my back she looked at me funny, chuckling. "What?" I asked.

"Nothing." She shook her head, waving us off, "Remember to get corn." She nods to Rick, which he returns the nod. Sending us down the stairs.

-

"That was..." I exhaled, laying on the bed I checked my watch.
10 pm.

"... worrying?" He asks.

"Exactly." I nodded, "Shes starting to get less patience for us. We need to get the corn tomorrow."

Rick gets his bedtime clothes on, looking at me confused, "Maggie asked us to bring it to her within the week."

"The faster we can get the food to her, the better." I replied.
"Hold your horses." Rick shook his head, throwing the covers on, "What's gotten you startled?"

I shook my head, holding my hand over my eyes. "I don't know." I sighed. But... maybe I do know.

"I see the look in your eye." Rick glared playfully as I slipped into bed, yawning.
"Really?" I snicker, "What's that."

He yawns back, "You know what's wrong. Your just scared to tell me, huh.

I paused, "You really want to hear my idea?" I smirked.
"Yes. I do." Rick nods, leaning his head on his elbow.

"I think I'm going to have a baby." I shrugged. Before he could answer me I sighed, "not like now but. I think I am pregnant. But I do doubt it."

Rick looked at me with wide eyes. "You... think so?"

I nodded, "Yea I do. I really do."

Rick smiled, "should we go check tomorrow?"

"Only if you want too."
"Isabella you have the choice."

I laughed, snuggling into the pillow. "Sure. I guess."