Chapter 9 - you are the Alpha, i am the Protector

"So." I nodded to Luke, who was tuning up the radio. "I'm going out there with Daryl. We check out Alphas land, radio to you our position. And then wait for someone to come and get us?" I asked, leaning on his wooden table.

I dropped Judith and RJ off and went back to hilltop to take a look at our plan.

We take a look at the land tonight, then tomorrow we set up camps and get our defenses up. We attack after.

"Correct." He nods, "Glad you understand, Daryl just is winging it. So you can watch out for him." He nods, smirking after the joke.

"Excuse me squidward?" Daryl storms over.
"Just because he plays instruments doesn't mean he's-" Luke interrupted me, laughing, "Hey, at least the jokes not about my nose."

"What you say to me boy?" Daryl glared.
"Daryl oh my god!" I laughed, "He was joking!"
He glared at us, crossing his arms his eyes were like daggers into our souls. "Let's go Isabella."

"Oop, King Neptune is calling." I whisper to Luke, who cackled in response, tuning up the radio.

-

"We gotta drop the motorcycle off about two miles off." He says, squinting as he thought he nods to himself, stopping the motorcycle.

I jump off, grabbing my backpack I situate my knives on my belt and my gun. I feel something in my pocket, I fish in it, and find a drawing RJ drew of me. Wearing a cape.

"Let's go." Daryl nods. "We can look at things later."

"What's got you in a bunch ol' man?" I smiled.
"I'm not old, I'm in my 40's..." he whispers, "it's just- the last time we went on something like this... I don't know. It's hard to explain." He shrugged, "We just got a break and now we're back in war. Both of us fighting on the front lines, we can die." He whispers. "You are lucky." He grumbled.

"Me? Why?" I cocked my head.
"They didn't get to meet you, look at ya. They didnt get to analyze every aspect of you in a single grunt. We made contact with them, Bell." He shrugged. "I think what I'm trying to say is, is I don't want to loose you like I lost Rick."

I paused. A unexpected wave of sorrowing pain washed over me. Making me pause for a moment.

"Sorry Isabella." He grumbled, "I... god."

"It's fine, don't be upset about it." I nodded, "Anyways, it's felt like we walked forever—"

5 large sticks carved into spears stuck across the gravel in front of us. I nearly step over it.

I never fought these people, only when Lydia was with Alpha. I talked about boundaries but I didn't expect this.

"Careful." Daryl nodded, pulling me back, "They always watch. Be careful."

I nodded in agreement, pulling out my knife for a sense of protection. "How do you presume we get from here to there?" I asked, Daryl simply grins.

Oh no.

"We have a mud trail that goes across this border and down under the bridge." He nods, "That will be safer, more quiet. And fun." He grabs my arm, taking us down the hill under the bridge.

"Jesus Daryl!" I whispered harshly, seeing my bare knees and shorts getting soaked, "I shouldn't be grossed out, but this is just a lot."

He snickered silently, helping me kick my way through the mud, "Careful with every step you take. You don't know what's in here." Daryl nods.

"I feel dead grass and rocks, that's it." I replied grimly.

Daryl suddenly stops, kicking something off his leg in restraint. "For god sake..." he grumbled, letting go of me.