Chapter 8

Sam was half asleep on his couch one Saturday afternoon, cuddling with Socks, when his cellphone started ringing. He looked at it a moment before picking it up and answering. It was a short phone call, and Sam hardly understood what was being said. They were halfway through the conversation when he realized it was Dean on the other end of the line.

“Anyway, I’m on the road with one of my friends and we’re gonna stop by your place before heading back.”

“Oh, yeah, alright.” Sam agreed.

“I gotta go, Cas’s got a thing about me driving and talking on the phone.”

Dean hung up and suddenly Sam was awake and very aware of how messy his apartment really was. There were plates on the coffee table, sweaters and coats strewn across the chairs, books in stacks on the floor, and countless dog toys that littered the floor. Not to mention the random crap that didn’t have places to go. He sighed mentally preparing himself for cleaning like he’d never done before.

Sam didn’t get to bed until three o’clock in the morning. He smelled like cleaning products and hoped that Dean wouldn’t open the closet next to the bathroom or he would get buried. Hours were spent pondering how he was going to keep good company, he’d never met the mysterious Cas guy, and didn’t exactly want to make a fool of himself.

He didn’t wake up until Dean called and said they would be there in 20 minutes. Sam shot out of bed and went straight to the shower. It took longer than expected and his hair was still a bit wet when he answered the door.

“Hey Sammy!” Dean said pulling Sam into a hug, “What’s up man?”

“S’good to see you.”

Another guy who Sam assumed was Cas stuck his hand out, “I’m Castiel.” He stated.

“Sam,” he shook Castiel’s outstretched hand.  “So are you guys just gonna stand there, because I didn’t clean for eight hours for nothing. Careful of the dog, he’s not a biter, but he jumps.” Socks hopped around sniffing Dean and Castiel’s feet as they entered.

 Castiel tripped and fell into Dean, “Whoa, easy tiger.” He helped him back upright, laughing at the panicked look that flashed across Castiel’s face.

“So how’d you two meet? Or am I stupid and just not remember you?” Sam asked sitting on the couch.

“Nah, we met when I fixed his car.”

Castiel raised an eyebrow, “You mean after you rear ended me in a parking lot?”

Dean blushed, “Yeah.” He muttered looking away. “So, that’s a cool painting.”

Sam looked over at the picture Gabriel had given him. “My neighbor made it.” Then it got awkward, Dean’s face still flushed, Castiel sitting there with no emotion whatsoever. “Uh, do you want something to drink? Beer? Water?"

Castiel shook his head, but Dean took a beer. The rest of the conversation was full of awkward banter, with Dean laughing a little bit too hard at Castiel’s jokes, which weren’t all that funny in the first place.

“Can I use your restroom?” Castiel asked.

“Yeah, uh, the first door on your left.” Sam replied.

All Castiel had to do was wash his hands, but his eyes wandered to the picture hanging on the wall across from the mirror. “I’m sorry I was an asshole… you are an angel sent from heaven.” He’d seen that calligraphy before, or at least some very similar to that, but it couldn’t have been who he thought it was. He was long gone. Castiel sighed as he dried his hands.