Valentine's Day

Sam walked down the three flights of stairs to leave his apartment when the middle aged woman in apartment 7B opened her door and handed him a rose and said “Have a lovely day,” before going back inside.

Sam stood there in the hallway confused. Until it hit him, it was Valentine’s Day. He figured he’d have probably remembered if he was still with Jess, but he wasn’t and there was no point in remembering the loneliest day of the year. It was, after all, just another day in February.

He got outside and caught up to Gabriel, who was walking to work, in the parking lot. “Be my Valentine?” He asked presenting the rose to him.

Gabriel gasped “Of course Sammy!” He said bringing a hand up to his chest. “But only if you’ll be mine.”

“Absolutely,” Sam laughed. “Have fun at work.” Gabriel winked and continued on his way, his rose in his hand.

“Ooh, where’d that come from?” Stella asked leaning over the front desk.

“Sam.”

Stella wiggled her eyebrows, “He so likes you!”

“No he doesn’t.” He sat next to Stella behind the desk. “D’you really think so?” He asked fully aware he sounded like he was in middle school.

“Duh, it’s Valentine’s Day and the only one who has a valentine in this room is you. I’m so jealous.”

“It’s probably best not to think too much about it.” He said.

Normally the Gallery would close early on holidays, or not open at all, but for some reason, Valentine’s Day was one of their busiest times of year. And of course, Gabriel was always one of the two working that day. It was excitement they didn’t normally receive, but that didn’t mean he wanted to work it.

 “Gabriel, it’s time for another tour!” Stella sang out. “And it’s your turn!”

He groaned and stood up, “Are there actually any people to tour?”

“Well, I wouldn’t have told you to give them a tour if there wasn’t.”

He walked around the corner to the place people were supposed to gather if they wanted a tour, and was met with at least 20 people, all couples. With a smile plastered on his face, Gabriel greeted them.

Gabriel couldn’t stand the couples repeated kissing, and hugging. Honestly, there shouldn’t have to be a sign somewhere to tell them to keep the PDA somewhere else. And by the time it was three thirty he was more than ready for his shift to be over.

“Why is it that you get to leave early and I don’t?” Stella asked.

“Because I’m great.” He said signing his work log.

She raised an eyebrow, “That’s debatable.”

“Oh please. You’re just jealous.”

She rolled her eyes. “Have fun making out with your boyfriend.

Gabriel made a fast 180, “Sam is just my friend! Could you get that through your head for once?”

“Maybe I’ll do it when it stops being true.”

He groaned in frustration, slung his coat over his shoulder, and left the gallery.

He couldn’t figure out why everyone wanted him to be with Sam, especially Stella, who brought it up at least once a week. And sometimes she sounded like she knew something he didn’t. Stella acted like she knew everything, but he knew she liked to get under his skin. Especially with it being Valentine’s Day, and Sam being his valentine.

@@@@

It kept running through his mind that maybe he shouldn’t have given Gabriel the flower. The last thing he wanted was for him to take the flower in any way except jokey. Sam didn’t want Gabriel to be his rebound. Sure he liked him, a lot, but it was way too soon. Sam could smack himself for over thinking this, it was a stupid flower. But he had stressed himself out and there was no backing out of that.

At least there was tomorrow, when all the candy would he half off, and he didn’t have to see couples everywhere. Sam probably should have just gone back home after he gave the rose away, but he had errands to do. He stopped by the pet store for more food for Socks and a woman there handed him a rose. He went to the grocery store and the person who bagged his groceries gave him a rose. And someone standing next to his parking meter gave him a rose before he got in his car. To say getting all of these roses wasn’t awkward would be a lie. This seemed too suspicious to be just a coincidence, but he highly doubted someone planned the roses.

 He passed the gallery on the way home and noticed Gabriel leaving, pulling over, he rolled down the window, “Need a ride?”

Gabriel thought about it a minute before opening the passenger side door, “Thanks.” Then noticed the three roses. “Hey! I thought I was your valentine!”

“You are. I don’t know why I have them.”

“Sure you don’t.” Gabriel said slowly.

“You can have them if you want them.”

“Nope. They’re yours.”

Sam winced as he said the first excuse that came to mind, “They’re for you.”

Gabriel looked up surprised, “Really?” Sam nodded making sure he looked out the windshield, and not near Gabriel. “Awh, four roses? You spoil me, Sammich!”

Sam was glad they lived only two blocks away from the gallery. Gabriel kissed Sam’s cheek, “Thanks for the ride, and the flowers.” He smiled and went inside his respective apartment. Sam sat in his car a few minutes longer, with a stupid grin on his face.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hey! I’m sorry this was terrible. I had the idea and then it was crap so now we have this…. This is awkward. Heh…

Happy Valentine’s Day!

I have some sad news. So I’m gonna take a short break on this story, probably only a few weeks, but I’ve almost totally abandoned my school work focusing on this story and now I have to write a  3 minute slam poem and a 15 page short story for class that I’ve been putting off for a month. It won’t be too long, but there won’t be an update for at least three weeks. I’m sorry.

~Debbiecakes!~