Chapter 13

Sam ran up the stairs rather than taking the elevator, and made it to his office just before he was considered late.

"Winchester, you've got the coffee right?"

Sam was panting slightly, "Yeah, I brought it, like every day."

"Good!" His boss said.

He was tired of all of this, and he was going to finally say something. Of course saying something meant the possibility of getting fired, and he couldn't afford something like that. He looked up at his boss dressed in an awful pinstriped suit and took a deep breath.

"Sir, I've been working here for three years now, and you've only given me the one case. You've got me bringing your coffee every morning, and I've already done my time as an intern. I'm not complaining, but everyone else has had several cases in the past six months, and I've had the one."

He looked at Sam pointedly. "I would give you another case if you could prove to me you'll win it. I understand that we will get paid anyway, but I like the guarantee that our, my, firm will get good marks."

"How am I supposed to prove that if you won't give me a case?" Sam asked dumbfounded.

"I don't know, but until then you're on coffee duty, filer, and support for the client lunches." His boss turned and walked into his office.

"You forgot your coffee sir."

At least he still had his job. But this wasn't what he wanted. He hadn't worked that hard to get the full ride to be a paid intern.

Sam sat down at his desk and sighed heavily. An email popped up on the computer screen.

*I need you to pick up my dry cleaning at four.*

His mouth fell open. No, there was no way he was going to do that. He was a lawyer, not an assistant. At least that's what he thought he was.

Gabriel called him around lunch time, "Hey, are you gonna be home early?"

"No, I gotta pick my boss's dry cleaning up."

"Darn! Wait, dry cleaning? Last time I checked that wasn't law..."

"I don't know what law is anymore." Sam admitted.

Gabriel sighed, "I bought a movie and we were gonna watch it together, but if you're not gonna be back until six, then I don't know."

"I'll try to be back by five, and I'll bring dinner."

"Yay!" Gabriel exclaimed. "Hey, I gotta go, your dog is eating a thing. Hey, drop tha-" the line went dead.

Sam smiled to himself and put the phone back on the receiver.

At four he left to get the dry cleaning and when he got there he realized that his boss hadn't actually paid for the clothes.

"Are you completely positive he didn't pay for it already?"

"Yes, sir, there are other people behind you." The woman behind the counter said.

With a sigh, Sam pulled his wallet out of his pocket and produced a credit card. He didn't understand how someone could have an almost 75 dollar dry cleaning bill, especially with only two shirts.

Sam had no clue where he was supposed to put the shirts now he had them, and opted for taking them back into the building rather than searching the parking lot for his boss's car.

"Oh good! We're having a meeting in ten minutes." His boss said looking up from a file. "You can just throw those on the chair."

Sam set them down, "You didn't pay for them."