Chapter 10

Sam rolled over with a groan. He heard Gabriel let himself into his apartment, which wasn’t an uncommon thing, but it was Wednesday at nine in the morning. Where he’d gotten a key Sam had no clue, but he’d shrugged it off, he practically lived in his apartment anyway.

There was a soft knock on his bedroom door. Socks let out a low growl from his spot next to Sam’s leg. “Go away, I’m dying.” he muttered.

 Gabriel opened the door anyway, “I know.” he said softly. “I was just making sure you weren’t actually dead.”

“I’m not.”

“Does that mean I get to be your nurse today, you know, without the sexy nurse costume, although I think I could find one if you want.”

Sam rolled his eyes, “Yes, you go find your nurse outfit,” then he paused, “while I go throw up.” He said getting out of bed and rushing towards the bathroom.

“Oh, gross.”  He cringed following Sam to the bathroom, and pushing back the sweaty bangs that clung to his forehead.

“You know you can leave at any moment you want to, right?” Sam said rocking back on his heels.

Gabriel shook his head, “Not when you are broken.” Sam stood up and went back to bed, groaning as he laid down. “Aren’t you gonna brush your teeth?”

“I’m not kissing anybody.”

Gabriel sat in the bed next to him, “Is there anything you need?”

“Actually yeah, I need you to shut up.” Sam said into the pillow.

With a sigh Gabriel got up, “I’ll be back later.”

Sam felt a bit guilty, all Gabriel wanted to do was help, but honestly, he felt like shit, and wanted some quiet. He got up from the bed fast, and rushed back to the bathroom, this time alone.

When Gabriel returned later, Sam was asleep, tangled up in the blankets, sweating like the room was on fire. He hesitated a second before placing a palm on his forehead and sliding it down to feel his cheek with the back of his fingers. “You loser.” He whispered going to get a wet washcloth.

Sam stirred a bit as the cool washcloth was placed on his forehead. He threw an arm across his face and pulled it back quickly at the cold. “Wha-?"

“You’ve got a fever.” Gabriel said.

“Oh.” He pulled the blanket up farther around his neck.

“Go back to sleep, I’ll bring you some water.” Sam didn’t protest, if he had been feeling any better he probably would have made some objection about him being a ‘big boy’, but instead he was shivering as if it was below freezing.

He returned with a glass, and found Sam half awake.

“Drink this.”

Sam took the glass and drank it slowly, the glass chattering against his teeth. He was half dazed, and really sleepy. “C’mere.” He murmured. Gabriel looked at him strangely, but laid next to him on the bed. “You’re a nice nurse.”

Gabriel smiled. “Go to sleep.” Sam rolled over and rested his head on Gabriel’s chest.

“I feel so bad…” he mumbled.

“I know.”

Within minutes, Sam was asleep again.

It wasn’t that Gabriel didn’t want him there, he enjoyed being Sam’s pillow, but he was uncomfortable; half sitting up, and propped on an elbow. He pulled his arm out and fell back. It had occurred to him that he could probably get sick too, but it didn’t seem to matter.