Chapter 3

Gabriel was an artist, at least that's what he majored in. He had yet to hear the public's opinions of his art though. His work was adequate, at least that's what his professor had told him. His classmates often talked about how strange he was, saying he was unconventional because he used spray pain and air-brushes compared to their acrylics, pencil, and chalk.

Gabriel had a large canvas outside on his balcony along with a large array of colors and his air-brushes. About a fourth of the way through his painting he noticed how colorful his balcony now was. Paint splatters were everywhere and it looked pretty, but he doubted his landlord would enjoy it as much as he did.

"Whatcha doing?" Sam called out from his back door.

"Painting."

"I figured, you kinda got my deck a little." Gabriel's eyes widened and he shoved the canvas aside to see Sam's balcony. It was much like his own deck, but much worse. The splatters were much larger and only on the left side of his balcony. Instead of the rainbow of colors on Gabriel's deck, Sam's were only blue, purple, and silver.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to! Uh, I can clean it up. Just give me a minute to clean myself up and then I can get your balcony." He said rushing to clear out his air brush.

Sam laughed, "Nah, it's alright. I kinda like it."

"Are you sure? I can get it off. I'm sort of an expert at getting paint off of things." Gabriel pressed.

"It's fine. Gives my balcony personality. A Gabriel original."

Gabriel was still wary, "Well, I guess when you move out I can pay the fine for damaging the property."

"If it'll help you sleep at night." He said. "Can I see what you are painting?"

"Nope. Nah. Nuh-uh. Not until I'm done!" Sam pouted.

"Oh, put the puppy eyes away, they won't work on me. After living with my brother for 13 years, I'm immune." he said pulling out his own puppy eyes.

'Ugh," Sam groaned. "I really hate you sometimes." he said and went back inside.

Gabriel was still working on his painting when the sun set and when it was rising again. He was so focused he didn't realize the sun had even disappeared until Sam was standing on his porch with wet hair and new clothing. "You look like shit." He stated.

"Gee thanks. Why are you wet? Wait, is it morning?" Gabriel asked.

"Uh, yeah." Sam said giving Gabriel a strange look.

"Shit, what time is it?"

"Around 7:30ish why?"

"God damn it! I'm late for work!" Gabriel shouted rushing to cap the paints and put his air-brush back in its box, all while trying to scrub off the paint from his arms.

Sam was unsure of what he could do to help the frantic little man. Gabriel really did look awful, he had bags under his eyes, and his hair was a mess. There were paint smears all along his body, and Sam was sure he noticed a large purple stain on the back of his neck. Gabriel was rushing around his house half dressed, a toothbrush in his mouth, and one shoe on mumbling to himself, "I've got to walk too, I'm so stupid"

"I could drive you if you want." Sam said standing in the threshold of Gabriel's back door.

Gabriel paused, looking up at Sam with surprise, "Could you?"

Sam shrugged, "I wouldn't have offered if I was busy."

A look of relief flooded Gabriel's face, "Thanks." He said, and continued frantically getting ready.