Chapter 37

L

ucas

Arriving at the hospital behind the ambulance. Quickly parking rushing over as the medic brings Essence out of the back of the ambulance.

“Sir, did you get in touch with her family?” A medic questions

“Her brother’s phone keeps going to voicemail. I will keep trying to get in touch with him.”

“What about her parents?” He questions as they race her down the hallway with Essence.

“They died.”

“What do we have here?” The doctor rushes up to us asking.

“She was violently beaten, raped, sexually assaulted, a stab wound in the upper thigh, her blood pressure is dropping, she is losing a lot of blood.” The medic informs the doctor.

“Let’s take her back.”

“Sir, you cannot come back here with her. I promise we will take excellent care of her.” A nurse states before going through the double doors.

Standing against the wall continuing trying to call Andre as two police officers walk towards me.

“Excuse me, sir, are you Lucas McKeen, the person you arrived here with Essence Harrison?” The older white office asks.

“Yes, sir I am.”

“We have just a few questions for you. Beginning with how you know Ms. Harrison?”

“We have a son together.”

“Is that why you were going over to her residence so late?” The other officer interrogates.

“Are you insinuating I did something to my child’s mother?”

“No, sir we are not. We know who is responsible for what happened. We just need to know what you know, and if you knew the parties involved in the attack on Ms. Harrison.”

“I know Ivy Mills; she is my ex-fiancée. The older lady I have seen her before, but I am unsure of who she is.”

Watching intently as the officers look between each other.

“Mr. McKeen, the lady who you said you only seen before is Ivy Mills mother.”

Confusion engulfs me, “what? That is not the lady who I met, and she told me was her mother. I think I still have a photo of us.” Retrieving my phone searching through the gallery until I found a picture.

Showing them my phone, as I ask, “what is the lady’s name who was there?”

“Her name is Anita Quarters. Ivy’s last name is not Mills, it’s Quarters as well. We now need to untangle the lies as it pertains to you. Did you and Ivy become an item after you and Ms. Harrison broke up?”

“Mine and Essence’s relationship is more complex. We never dated; we just have a son together.”

“When you walked into Ms. Harrison’s residence what did you see?”

“I just got in and went straight to her house. I saw the door was open. Walking inside the house the living room was completely trashed. I heard voices that belonged to neither Essence nor her brother Andre. Quickly called the cops on my phone, left it downstairs on the floor as I quietly went upstairs. Pushing that sick fuck off Essence. Punched him a few times only because he swung on me first after I pushed him off.”

“Thank you for your time. If we have any more questions we will be in touch.”

“Thank you, before you go what is going to happen to them?”

“Between us,” the older man spoke as he continues, “I want them to be put under the prison and go through what they put her through, only worse.”

“Thank you again.”

Calling Andre’s phone, it went to voicemail again, ‘where are you, Andre?’ I say to myself.

Realizing the time, I call Eden.

“Hello,” She says groggily.

“I’m sorry I didn’t call earlier. Something happened. Ho- “

“Are you go okay Lucas?” Eden questions with worry in her tone. 

“I’m fine, it’s not me.”

“Lucas, what happened?”

“You’re going to have to keep Kendric a little bit longer. If you can’t take him to our parents’ house. Get him some more clothes. I will call him in the morning before school.”

“LUCAS WHAT HAPPENED” Eden yells.

“It’s Essence. Can you take care of Kendric for us?”

“Yeah, I can.”

“I’ll call in the morning. Thank you, I love you, Eden.”

Hanging up the phone I notice a doctor eagerly walking in my direction.

“You are here with Essence Harrison correct?”

“Yes sir, please tell me she is fine.”

“She needs immediate surgery. Someone needs to give consent be- “

“I will sign whatever is necessary for her to have surgery. What surgery does she need?”

“Are you family?”

“Yes, we are.”

“Ms. Harrison is hemorrhaging from her brain from a hit she sustains to the back of her head. Sign these documents so we can operate on her. We don’t have a moment to spare.”

Signing the papers, the doctor continues to speak, “The surgery will be a while, but I will keep you posted much as possible about Ms. Harrison's condition.”

Handing the consent papers back to the doctor, “Promise you will take care of her. Our son needs her.”

“Sounds like you do too. I promise I will do all I can for her Mr. McKeen.” He says as he turns walking off.   

Sitting on the floor next to the double doors they took Essence through over seven hours ago.

“Excuse me, Mr. McKeen?” a blonde nurse asks.

“Yes ma’am, I am.”

“Ms. Harrison is in recovery now.”

“How is she? Did the surgery go okay?” I question

“It was touch and go and few times.”

“Are you saying- “

“She is still in extremely critical condition. We are keeping a close eye on her, also the doctor will be out to talk with you more in a few.”

“Thank you for the update.”

“After the doctor speaks with you, you can go home and get some rest.”

“I’m not going anywhere. She needs me and I am going to be here for her.”

Nodding her head, she turns walking off.

About 20 minutes later the doctor comes from behind the double doors.

“Mr. McKeen, Ms. Harrison is being moved into a private room. You can go sit with her if you would like. I must warn you she is has a long recovery ahead of her. Besides the physical, she has a lot to recover from.”

“What are the injuries she sustains?”

“Of course, her head, the deep laceration in her thigh, several broken bones. She had to undergo two surgeries and she could have to have another one. Only time will tell.”

“Why does it seem you are not telling me everything?”

“Ms. Harrison has yet to regain consciousness.”

“Are you saying she won’t?”

“I’m saying it will be completely up to her. Her body needs to rest and heal.”

“Whatever she needs I will be here for her.”

“This may be none of my business, however, as I understand it you and Ms. Harrison have a child together.”

“Yes, Essence and I have a six-year-old son together.”

“Wouldn’t it be more beneficial if you made an honest woman out of her instead of just playing house or was she a random hook-up for you, young man?”

“It’s? nothing like that with us. It’s complicated?”

“Okay, you are welcome to stay as long as you would like. There is an uncomfortable chair you can sleep in, in the room.”

“Can I go retrieve some personal belongs from my vehicle?”

“Of course. Ms. Harrison is in room 254 for now. We may have to move to the CCU in a few days. That is the best diagnosis I can give for now.”

“Thank you for everything.”

After getting a bag from my car, walking into the hospital room seeing Essence’s body beyond battered broke my heart.

“I should have gotten to you quicker. I promise they will pay for doing this to you.” I say to her holding her hand as I place a kiss on her forehead.

“Please wake up, our son needs you. I need you Essence. Come back to us.” I tell her.

Comment:

Vote:

Share: