Chapter 50

Essence

Six months later 

Pacing back and forth around the hotel room when a knock on the door startles me.

 Opening the door Lucas is standing before me.

“Essence, you don’t need to be scared, I’m here.”

“It’s just being in a room with him everything comes flooding back.” Closing my eyes trying to shut out everything.

Feeling strong arms wrap around me, “I got you, I won't let anything happen to you.”

“Promise, Lucas?”

“I promise. He will try to rattle you and get to you when he does just hold my hand or squeeze it. I won't let him do anything to you.”

Arriving at the courthouse holding Lucas’s hand. Fear engulfed my body while trying to slow my heart beating down.

“Look at me, Essence.” Lifting my eyes to look at Lucas.

“He can’t touch you or Kendric. I won’t let him. I got you and I will protect you with every breath in me.”   

Replying softly, “okay”  

Entering the courtroom Lucas and I took our seats.

“I’ll be glad when all of this is over. I don’t ever want to see any of them again.”

“After this you want have to. No, matter what their attorneys try to say, you tell what happened. I know they are going to lie to discourage you, don’t let them win.”

“I’m just ready for us to leave here and go back home to our son.”

“I know I a- “

Lucas was cut off by the side door opening two officers walk through the door, followed by Ivy, Anita, and Robert with two more officers behind him.

Squeezing Lucas’s hand as they came to take their respective seat.

“All rise,” the bailiff says as the judge enters taken his seat on the bench looking out at us.

“Your honor, this is case number 7468 on the docket the State Vs. Anita Quarters, Ivy Quarters, and Robert Wilts.” The bailiff states as he hands over a folder to the judge.