Chapter 13

Essence

Three weeks later

“Essence, wait up.” I heard Tyrell’s voice call out to me.

“I’m sorry. I have to get to tutoring.”

“No problem. I will walk with you. Are you excited about prom tomorrow? I got a tux to match the colors of your dress.”

Stopping I bored into Tyrell’s eyes, “I am not excited about this because I don’t even want to go.”

Continuing to walk in silence till Tyrell spoke, “I know you been through a lot recently. I have always had a crush on you and wanted to be the one to make you smile or try to give you a little bit of happiness. Shit, my words are not coming outright.”

Opening my mouth to reply, Tyrell places a kiss on my lips.

“I’ll see you later beautiful.” He says as he leaves me planted in the same spot.

Walking into tutoring Mr. Perez has a big smile covering his face.  

“Hey Mr. Perez, am I disturbing you?”

“Of course, not Essence. I have some wonderful news for you. Your hard work is paying off. Next year you will only have to take two classes then you are done with high school.”

For the first time in a long time, a genuine smile graced my face.

“Are you serious. I will be done.”

“Yes, Essence you will be done with high school. The only downfall is I have not heard back from any of the colleges as of right now; that can change anytime though. I am so proud of you Essence.” Mr. Perez says with a sincere smile.   

“Thank you for all of your help.”

“Essence, you did this. I cannot stress how proud of you I am. I have not asked because I know it is none of my concern, but I am worried about you. How are you really doing? I cannot imagine knowing what you are going through, losing your son. Is there anything I can do?”   

“It hard. Some nights I sneak out the house just to go lay beside him in the cemetery. I hold his picture close to my heart.” Not able to finish my thoughts as tears formed in my eyes,

“I miss my baby so much.” I barely get out as all the pain engulfs me and I break down crying.

Mr. Perez came hugging me tightly. “I am sorry you are going through this type of agony. No woman should ever have to go through this.”

“Why my baby?” I cried out harder as Mr. Perez held tightly.

Pulling myself together, glancing over at Mr. Perez his eyes held honesty. “I’m sorry about that.”

“You have nothing to apologize for. You are grieving your son; do not ever apologize to me or anyone else. No one can tell you how to feel or grieve.”

“Thank you. You have no idea how much that means to hear me say that.”

“You do know if you ever need me for anything, I am always here Essence.”

“Thank you, Mr. Perez.” Looking at the time I continued, “I have to get home, but again thank you.   

Reaching home, my mom was outside waiting on me. “Essence, we have to get a few things for tomorrow.”

“Sorry. Tutoring ran over.”

“It’s fine let’s go before the stores close.”

Making it back home panic takes over me as I see and all to recognizable truck in the yard.

“I’m not getting out of the car. Why is he even here?”

“Essence, Robert is still your dad’s friend and apart of this family.”

“Even after all, he has done to me.”

“Stop. He apologized. You need to forgive and put this behind you.”

Remaining quiet I sent a text to Andre seeing if he is home.

Dre: Yeah, I’m home.  

Me: Can you come and help me in the house.

Dre: Everything okay sis?

Me: Yeah  

My mom went in the house, sitting in the car I waited for Andre to come outside. Breathing out a sigh of relief when the front door open, it swiftly vanished when I saw him with a sick grin his face.  

Becoming paralyzed with each step he took toward the car, closing my eyes trying to block it all out.

“Essence.” Hearing Andre’s voice I opened my eyes.

“Where did Robert go?” I question looking all around with fear.

“I told him I was coming to get you.”

I nodded my head. After getting into the house I took a quick shower then went to Andre’s room.

Unable to sleep I stare into the darkness.  

Next day   

“Essence you need to hurry up, everybody will be here soon, and don’t mess up your hair or make-up.” I heard my mother shout through the house.

Grabbing my dress out of the closet, looking over it again; I got dressed. Finishing with the last few touches I hear a soft know on my door.

Speaking softly, I mumble, “come in.”  

“You look very beautiful Essence,” my mom says while snapping pictures.

“Thanks.” Standing up looking over myself once more in the full-length mirror.

Essence's dress ⬇️

“Essence, Tyrell is here

“Essence, Tyrell is here.” My father’s voice booms through the house.

Viewing the photo of my son before I leave out, I kiss it a put it back on the nightstand.

Leaving out my room, Andre was exiting out of his room as well.

“Baby sis!” Andre says exactly. “Hold up.” Taken out his phone Andre took pictures of us together.

“Seriously Essence, you not going to take any of us together?” he says in a humorous angry tone.  

As we were walking down the steps Andre whispers in my ear, “When you are ready to leave, I’ll be ready to leave.”

Nodding my head, “thank you.”

“Come on so we can take pictures.” My mom yells happily.

Arriving at the prom, Tyrell found us a table.

“How is this table?” He asks.

“It’s fine, thank you.”

“Essence, you are exquisite tonight, simply lovely.” He says with a smile.

“I appreciate that.”

“Do you want to dance?”

“No thank you.”

Sitting at the table silence between us. Tyrell angrily gets up heading to the dance floor.  

Getting up to refill my drink when Mr. Perez stopped me.

“Essence, you look stunning!”

Smiling I replied, “Thank you, Mr. Perez.”

“Excuse me, Mr. Perez we need you over here.” Another teacher tells him.

“Have a good time Essence.” Mr. Perez says then leaves.

Heading to the bathroom, I stared at my broken reflection. Ready to leave I check the time. “It’s still early, I know Dre will want to stay.” Talking to no one.

Leaving out the restroom when I heard a familiar voice then a feminine voice. Slowly going towards the voice, I see Tyrell with his hands all over some young lady as he leans in kissing her fervently.

Walking not caring if they heard or not. Requesting a uber, I sent Andre a text telling him I’m not feeling well.

Noticing the uber is two minutes out, I walk outside as the night air embraces me.   

“Essence” Running to go back inside, but the door was locked.

“Leave me alone,” I scream.

“You look sexy, Essence. I came to see you.”

Seeing headlights, a female voice called my name.

“Essence.”

Running to the car I answer, “I’m Essence.”

Getting into the car, I locked the door.

“How was prom?” The driver asks.

“I’m ready to be at home.”

Comment:

Vote:

Share: