Chapter 9

E

ssence

Four days later  

After getting dressed I sat on my bed dreading the day ahead. Fighting back my tears, taken a deep breath I felt a dip beside me on my bed.

“I got you, baby sis,” Andre tells me as I rest my head on his shoulder.

Andre wiped my fallen tears as I spoke, “I want my son back.”
Before Andre could reply there was a soft knock on the door. My mom entered my room.

“Baby, you ready? They here to get us.” She spoke softly.

“I don’t want to bury my son; I just want to hold him.” My tears were unrelenting no matter how hard I tried.

“Sweetie, I’m so sorry if I could have done more to save him, I would have.” She told me as she begins to cry.

“Is everybody ready?” My father’s voice startled us.

Shaking my head in a no motion as I placed my hand on my now empty stomach.

“Jellybean, I know today is going to be hard for you, but know you have all of us to lean on. We are hurting also. He said articulated as he came and hugged me tightly.

Reaching the cemetery, Andre held me as we are walking to the gravesite. Seeing the white, light blue, and gold trim coffin, trying to suppress my cries best way I could.

Sitting down in the chair, all I could do was stare at the coffin that held my son

Sitting down in the chair, all I could do was stare at the coffin that held my son. Tears stained my face as the pastor said Matthan's life was cut far too short.   

Tuning everything else out, I closed my eyes praying this is a nightmare I was tangled up in. To no avail it was not, crying harder Andre comforted me.

“Andre it hurts, I can’t take this pain.” Trying to get up, but Andre would not let me.

“Let me go, I just want my baby,” I yelled as broke down crying harder.

“We will now have the final view of little Matthan Harrison, and Ms. Anita Marks will sing softly,” the pastor states.

“I can’t do it, I can’t say good-bye to my son,” breaking down again, crying harder.

“Essence we are all here for you.” My father spoke in a sincere voice then he continued.

“Let’s go say our final good-byes.”

Feeling my legs becoming weaker with each passing step, I broke down in front of his casket.

Opening my mouth all that came out was, “I wasn’t a good mother to you. I failed you, Matthan.” Letting out a scream, “God, why did you take my baby?”

Sitting on the ground crying I head the women’s voice as she started singing.

I've been waiting for you
For such a long time
You're always on my mind
And I'm lying awake
Most of the night
Waiting to hold you tight
Now that I do
And look at you
My heart is breaking
This can't be true
Lost you before I found you
Gone before you came
But I love you just the same
Missed you before I met you
On earth, we never can
But in heaven, we'll meet again
Close to my soul
Close to my heart
Right from the start
Lost in time
Lost in space
Can't wait to see your face
Now that I do
And look at you
My heart is breaking
I know it's true
Lost you before I found you
Gone before you came
But I love you just the same
Missed you before I met you
On earth, we never can
But in heaven, we'll meet again
Sometimes I find myself wondering what to do
With this pain that I'm going through
But I know one day, God will take me away
And I'm coming home to you
And when I do
And look at you
My heart is healing
I know it's true
Lost you before I found you
Gone before you came
But I love you just the same
Missed you before I met you
On earth, we never can
But in heaven, we'll meet again
In heaven, we'll meet again

“Essence let’s go home,” Andre said as he held me close.

“My baby is gone, Dre.”

“I’m so sorry, Essence.” He replied with a sad tone.

Getting in the family car watching as my son was getting buried when a familiar voice broke me from it.

“Essence.” He spoke softly.

Looking up at him, a small smile graced my face, “Mr. Perez.” Was all I could manage to say.

“Essence, I am so sorry. If there is anything, I can do for you please let me know.” Getting out of the car, I hugged him tightly.

“Thank you very much, Mr. Perez.”

“I go you these white roses, I hope they are okay.”

“Yes, sir. Thank you, I greatly appreciate these and you.

“Remember, what I told you if you need me for anything I am here.” Mr. Perez tells me. Nodding my head at him he walked off.

Starting to get back in the car I saw my dad speaking with the lady who was singing. They were close in proximity, too close for my mom’s liking because she stormed over to them.

Sitting in the car Andre sat beside me. Resting my head his shoulder.

“Baby sis, I love you.” He said as tears sprung from my eyes again.

Lucas  

“Lucas,” hearing Vita call my name, I head in the direction she is in.

“Yes, Vita?”

“You look tired. Did you sleep here again?”

“Does it matter if I did or not.”

“Lucas, this is the fourth night in a row. Is this going to become a habit for you?”

“What can I say little LJ sleeps better when I’m around.”

I saw confusion plastered on her face, “who the hell is LJ?”

“Oh, that’s the nickname I gave him since he does not have one.”

“Lucas!”

“Vita, I know what you’re thinking, I’m getting too attached and maybe I am, but he needs someone till he gets adopted.”

“Answer me this, when he does get adopted or he gets placed out of here then what are you going to do?”

Her words hit me like a ton of bricks. “I honestly don’t know. I haven’t even thought about it,” telling her in a low voice.

“You love him, don’t you?”

Smiling big, “yeah I do. I have placed kids before and never got attached I don’t know what is different about him.”

“When he cries, you are the only one who can calm him down, when he hungry, he wants you to feed him. He only wants to be around you Lucas.”

“Are you saying I need to keep my distance; I need to stay away from him.”

“Actual I have two things to tell you. They are moving me to another department at another location for a while. I am unsure for how long, but I will return. Second, why do not you just adopt him? You know all the qualifications you must have, you have a supportive family, and this intern will turn into a job for you soon enough.”

“I can’t adopt LJ, I’m only 22 years old.”

Vida smiled big, “A mature 22. Just thinking about its Lucas, and if you decide to give him a name that fits him, his culture and has meaning. I will respect your decision. I have to go I wanted to say bye, and I will miss you.”

“I’m going to miss you too, Vita,” I tell her as I kiss her on her cheek and hug her.

After Vida left, LJ begins to cry rushing over to him, I picked him up.

“Good morning LJ, did you hear what aunt Vita said; she said I should adopt you myself.”
Watching him I smiled. “I don’t want another family to get you. Why shouldn’t I adopt you little LJ?” I say placing a kiss on his forehead.

Comment:

Vote:

Share: