Chapter 28

Lucas

A week and a half later

“Daddy, what time is Ms. Essence coming?”

“I’m not sure Kendric, she will be here soon.”

“Will Ms. Essence stay with us again! Please can she daddy?”  

“We can – you can ask her when you see her. She is more prone to say yes to you than me.”

“Why is that daddy?” Kendric questions inquisitively.

“Kendric what do you want for dinner?”

“Can we call Ms. Essence and see if she will be here in time for dinner?”

“Honey, Kendric where are you guys?” Ivy’s voice rang throughout the house.

“She couldn’t have been Ms. Essence?” Kendric asks pouting.

“My sentiments exactly son,” I spoke barely audible.

“What did you say, daddy?”

“Nothing.”

“Lucas,” Ivy shouts out again as she enters the kitchen. Relief washes over her as she continues, “why didn’t you answer me when I called out your both your names moments ago?”

“I didn’t hear you, Ms. Ivy,” Kendric says with a smile on his face.

“Do you both have matching tuxes to match my dress?”

“Ivy I told you I wasn’t going to do that.”

“Lucas, lately you have been disregarding my feelings and I am sick of it. We are getting married soon and starting a family.”

 “Daddy can I go to my room.” Kendric’s questions with sadness in his voice.

“Yeah, you can. I'll be up in a few minutes to check on you.”

“Okay, daddy.” He says walking to his room.

Boring my eyes into Ivy I spoke when Kendric was out of earshot. “Ivy, what the hell was that? My son was right here and that’s the shit you bring up.”

“What happened to him begin our son?”  

“His mother is alive and well.”

“For the past few years, I have been his mother. Nobody, not one fucking person is asking me how I am feeling about any of this. My heart is breaking, and you don’t even care. Did you ever just stop a say Ivy you okay, how are you handling all this. I love Kendric he is my son, not hers. I have been there for him more than she has.”

“Ivy they told her he was dead; what was she supposed to do?”

“She is disrupting our lives. I had to push our wedding back.”

“My son’s life is getting obliterated and all you make this all about you.”

“See, right now, this you are not listening to me.”

“Ivy we need to talk, and I can’t, and I won’t put this off any longer.”

Opening my mouth to continue what I must say Ivy’s phone interrupts us. Watching her as she checks her phone to see who is calling her.

“Baby, I have to take this call and make sure everything is set for tomorrow. I will be here early, and she bet not be in my house.” Before I can reply Ivy cuts me off by kissing me.

“Bye honey. I will call you tonight make sure Kendric is asleep we can get in the back of your jeep- “

“Ew, that is the most disgusting thing I have heard,” Eden says with a look repulse plastered on her face.

“Hello, Eden,” Ivy states with disdain in her voice.

“Ivy, how wonderful to see you. You are looking so lovely today.” Eden says with sarcasm dripping with each word.

“Sweetheart I will call you later,” Ivy tells me storming out the house closing the door behind her.

“Was that necessary Eden?”  

“Has Essence got in yet?”

“No, she hasn’t. Is that the only reason why you came to my house?”

“Of course. Where is my nephew? I got a gift for him. What did the witch in Gucci want?”

“Daddy – Aunt Eden.” Kendric runs to her with his little arms open.

“How is the best nephew in the whole world?”

“Great,” he says happily.

Loud knocking rang through the house, “Lucas someone is at your door.” Eden says walking off with Kendric.

Opening the door Essence was standing in front of me.

“I’m sorry I should have called first.” She says.

“No need to apologize, you can come over when you would like to.”

“Thank you! Is Kendric around?”

“Yeah, he is in the kitchen with Eden. You can go in if you would like to.”

“I would like to see him.” Essence states as she begins walking towards the kitchen.

“Essence, I will give you a heads up, Kendric wants you to stay here while you are here.”

Opening her mouth to speak, but nothing comes out of her mouth.

“Ms. Essence you are here!” Kendric says excitedly as he runs to Essence hugging her tightly.

“I missed you too, Kendric, “Essence tells him as she hugs him.

“Ms. Essence, will you please stay here with me and daddy? Please.”

“Sweetie I would love to, but- “

“But she will be staying with her new man,” Eden interjects.

“Ms. Essence has a boyfriend?” Kendric questions.

“No, she doesn’t and Essence can and will stay here with me.” Feeling everybody eyes boring into me and my last words start echoing in my head.

“Shit,” I say to myself.

“What I meant to say is, Essence can stay with me AND Kendric. You all didn’t let me finish and I wasn’t able to say Kendric’s name.”

“Careful baby brother, you're jealously is beginning to show,” Eden whispers in my ear snickering.

“Shut up, Eden,” I reply through gritted teeth.  

“Daddy, may I show Ms. Essence my new toys?”

“That’s fine but make sure Ms. Essence wants to go.”

“I will thank you, daddy. Ms. Essence, would you like to see my new truck?”

“I would.” Essence tells Kendric with a huge smile on her face. Watching as the walked up the steps hearing them talk and laugh brought a smile to me as well.

“Essence wants to know if the guy can come to the formal tomorrow,” Eden says to me with a smile plastered on her face.

“Fuck that, no hell she not.”

“She not what?”

“Eden, I don’t have time for your shit.”

“Lucas, you’re the jealous one.  Besides, I told her he could come.”

“Is she going to stay with him?”

“I have no clue but it was funny-“

“Shut up Eden,” I tell her sitting on the couch.

Comment:

Vote:

Share: