Chapter 47

Lucas

Two weeks later  

Moving Essence into her new today. Thankfully we would a place five houses down from mine. Bringing in

“Daddy, can we stay with Ms. Essence tonight to make sure nothing happens to her?” Kendric questions as Essence walks into her house.

Before replying Evan spoke, “Kendric, what Ms. Essence needs here with her tonight and every night after is s real man, such as myself. I would be happy to stay here with her.”

“What about me, Uncle Evan?”

“I guess you can stay, one night.”

“Uncle Evan, daddy is a man, why can’t he stay with Ms. Essence tonight?”

Evan stares at Kendric as confusion display on his face.

“Kendric, I usually know what you are talking about, but I don’t know. Explain what you are saying.”

“You said you are a real man, isn’t daddy real, Uncle Evan?”

“Not that kind of real Kendric, but a real man.”

“Sooooooo is daddy fake, Uncle Evan?” Kendric inquires with concern.

“Ah shit. I mean got damnit, Kendric. Yo- “

Kendric cuts off Evan, “OOOOOOOOO, I’m telling granddaddy you are using bad words.”

“I’ll give you $5.00.”

“Make it $25.00 and I won’t tell granddaddy.”

“Fine” Evan says reaching in his wallet giving Kendric the money.

“I didn’t say I wouldn’t tell grandma.” He says laughing as he takes off running through the house as I laugh at Evan and Kendric's antics.

“Who taught him that?”

“You have to ask, Evan.”

“I’m telling Eden she owes me $50.00”

“Help finish moving stuff Essence stuff in.”

“I’m trying to move in.”

“Why do you want Essence so bad?”

“Lucas, the question is why don’t you. I mean if nothing else look at her ass.”

“I have lunch” Vita announces as she comes through the door.

“I hope your ass didn’t cook,” Evan says rolling his eyes.

“Correction,” Vita says then continues, “I have lunch for everyone except Evan.” She says with a smile.

“I wish they would just fuck and get that shit over with,” Wyatt states with an annoyed tone.

“Me too.” Eden chimes in.

“Even doesn’t stand a chance in hell in getting this good-good.”

“Who the fuck wants your cobweb, pussy. I see, I mean I smell why you are single.”

Rolling my eyes at Vita and Evan, as Vita spoke again, “For someone with a three-inch dick who lasts two seconds you should pipe down. I mean blow up dolls deflate when they see you.”

Walking off going upstairs to see Kendric in his room in Essence's house.

“How do you like your room here?”

I like it, can I put a picture of me, you, and Ms. Essence in here?”

“You have to ask Ms. Essence, but I’m sure she won’t mind.”

“Did you ask her if we could stay the night with her?”

“I don’t mind at all, Kendric. You and your dad are more than welcome to stay here with me tonight.”

Essence says walking into the room with us.

“May I also hang a picture of the three of us in my room?”

“Of course, you can, I don’t mind. This will be your room here.”

“Thank you, Ms. Essence,” Kendric says jogging over to her hugging her.

“I going to see grandma and tell her the good news.” He says leaving out the room.

“I can stay until Kendric goes to sleep then leave if you want me to.”

“Why would I want you to leave, Lucas?”

Standing up walking over to Essence, “I don’t know maybe because after I kissed you, you have been keeping your distance.”

“No, I haven’t.” She tells me.

“No! I haven’t been able to tell you, but when you kissed me back that is what was made the kiss more worthwhile.”

“Lucas” she speaks softly.

Taken her hand in mine boring deep in her eyes.

“Essence” we hear my mom calling out for her.

“I should go see what your mom wants.”

Pulling her close to me, “this conversation is far from being over.” Looking at me once more she walks off.

“When are you going to ask her out already?” Vita questions.

Staring at Vita she smiles.

“I see the way you look at her, the way you have been looking at her. Stop being scared.”

“Vita, I don’t want to scare her, and we need to be careful because we don’t know if we will work. If we pursue this and it doesn’t work, it’s not just me and her dealing with the aftermath.”

“Then stop this now. Don’t sit here and send mixed signals. That’s not fair to her or Kendric. You either going to be all in and give this a real chance and move your ass out the way so she can find her a man who does want to be with her.”  

“Vita”

“No, don’t Vita me. She has been through enough hell Lucas. Take some time to see if this is what you want to pursue. If you do,
then do it the right way. Don’t be kissing her just because. Take her out, treat her like the queen she is, and the possible wife to you she will become if it works out. I love you Lucas, but Essence is my friend also. I love her too, and I hate what happened to her, you saw firsthand why to drag her through another type of hell.”

“I get what you are saying, Vita,” I say hugging her.

Essence 

Entering the kitchen watching as she put some things in the cabinets.

“Mrs. McKeen,” she turns facing me.

“Sweetheart, I hope I didn’t interrupt you.”

“No, ma’am you didn’t. Kendric was asking if he and Lucas can stay the night with me.” I say with a smile.

“I want to talk to you about Kendric.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“I love that little boy. He has brought so much joy and happiness to not only me but all of us.” She takes her hand in mine.

“I can’t imagine all you have been through, the suffering from those who should have protected you, instead they do the worse things imaginable and then do way worse. I want to tell you; you don’t have to worry. You are family and will be treated like family. You are my grandson’s mother; you will be treated as his mother. Before anything else, we are setting you up with a therapist. You need to heal yourself; you are not alone in any of this. We will all be here to support and help you through this.”

“Mrs. McKeen, you all have done so much for me already.”

“Sweetie, this is just a house. You gave us so much more. Had we known you were alive all these years we would have ended the grief for you and Kendric. You weren’t the only one grieving. He had plenty of nights where he cried and begged for you. We did what we could but none of us was his mom.”

Hugging her, “You are more of a mom to me than my mom was.”

“You know if my son stops being stupid, you could be my other daughter.” Mrs. McKeen winks at me as she smiles.

“I’ll stick with co-parenting.”

“Another grandbaby will be nice.” She says with a big grin on her face. As Kendric runs into the kitchen.

“Grandma, Ms. Essence, come look at what I did,” he says with a big smile on his face.

“Essence,” Mrs. McKeen says stopping me.

“You have a home and more importantly a family now. You don’t have to be scared anymore.” She says with a genuine smile.

Comment:

Share:

Vote: