Chapter 29

Essence

Next day  

Waking up in the guest bedroom a small smile grace my face as last night's memories resurfaced.

“Ms. Essence, did you know daddy doesn’t like your boyfriend? I don’t either but I don’t know why daddy doesn’t like him? Kendric says while eating dinner.

“I know why,” Eden states smirking between Lucas and myself.

“I never said I do not like Essence's boyfriend. Now can we change the subject.” Lucas tells us.

“Essence, ask Cedric to come tomorrow. I know my parents will not mind and this will give yall some time to catch up.” Eden says with a big smile plastered on her face.

“Eden, we are at full capacity in, momma and dad can't have any more people,” Lucas says through gritted teeth.

“Nonsense Lucas. He can come Essence, Lucas is just being anal. What are you going to wear?”

“I have a dress, however, I don’t know about it.”

“We will go shopping in the morning. Kendric you want to spend the day with me and Ms. Essence?”

“Yes, I do! Daddy, can I spend the day with Ms. Essence and Aunt Eden?”

“Your Aunt is going to have to take you to get a haircut if she can do that you can go.”

“YAH!” Kendric shouts in excitement.

After dinner heading up to the bedroom, stopping on a step I looked at the couch where Lucas and I slept the last time I was here. A wave of emotions set me racing to the room faster.

Stepping out of the shower with a towel around my body walking into the bedroom Lucas standing in the room.

“Jesus, you scared me.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to. Kendric wants to say goodnight to you.”

“Soon as I change, I will go see him.”

Lucas nods as he stares intensifies.

Hearing soft knocking follows, “Ms. Essence are you up?” Kendric asks happily.

Walking to the door with ease, jerking it back Kendric voice fills the room.

“AHHHH! You scared me.” He says laughing as I pick him up.

 “How did you sleep?” I ask him.

“Good. I woke up early because I am excited about today.” Kendric says going to Lucas’s room. 

Smiling at the sight before me I got annoyed when my phone rings.

Checking to see who it is, “why would my lawyer be calling me?” I ask myself.

Quickly answering the call, “hello.”

“Hey, Essence, I am sorry about the early call. We have a situation with the case. I know you are away right now, but you need to get back here tomorrow afternoon.”

“Is everything okay?”

“I fill you in on everything when you get in. I will say be prepared to submit to a DNA test. You, Kendric, and Mr. Wilts are scheduled for testing tomorrow.”

“I will be there. Is it anything else?”

“We talk tomorrow Essence, for now, have fun with your son.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Soon as I disconnected the call, there was a loud knocking on the front door.

Lucas comes out of Kendric’s room my breath becomes caught in my windpipe.

Being brought out of the trance, “ESSENCE!” Eden yells waving her hands in my face. “I have been calling your name for the last few minutes its like you were somewhere else.”

“I’m sorry, I just got a call and I was thinking about that.”

“Is everything okay?” Eden questions with concern in her tone.

“Yeah,” I tell her smiling, “everything is fine. Are you ready to go?”

“Yeah, I am, and Vita is coming with us. I hope you don’t mind.”

“No, not all,” I say as my smile grew bigger.

Changing clothes and grabbing my things, I went down the steps to see Kendric waiting by the door.

“Are you ready to go Ms. Essence?”

Smiling, “yes I am ready.”

“Kendric be good for your Aunts Eden and Vita. And be good Ms. Essence as well.”

“I will daddy,” Kendric says hugging Lucas.

“Lucas, what are you going to do while we are gone?” Vita questions.

“I’m going to work out, get a hair cut, and see if my parents need anything. Yall should be back about 3:30 – 4:00 something along those lines?”

“We should, but it’s no guarantee,” Vita says leaving out the door.

“I’ll make sure Kendric is back on time,” I tell Lucas.

“I was joking with Vita, y’all have fun.”

“We will. Thank you.”

“See you when you get back,”  Lucas says eyeing me.

Giving a small wave I left out the door. Feeling his eyes on me I rush getting in the car.

Arriving at the boutique shop Eden and Vita look at me and smile.

“Are you ready?”

“I have no idea at this point,” I say as we all laugh.

Entering the shop holding Kendric hand all the dress looks exquisite. Inspecting the price tag of a champagne color dress that has $78,000.00.

Quickly walking over to Vita and Eden, “I can’t afford anything in here.” I whisper to them.

“Don’t worry about it, Essence,” Eden tells me with a genuine smile on her face. “We are family now and we look out for each other. Look around and find you a dress Cinderella.”

“Ms. Essence, do you like this dress?” Kendric asks pointing at a black dress. “If you wear this you will match me and daddy.” 

“I don’t think I should dress like you and your dad this time. Maybe next time.”

“Try this one on Essence,” Eden says.

I picked it out and I know you will look amazing in it,” Vita says happily.

“Hopefully, Lucas will kiss you again!” Eden whispers lowly.

“I heard that Eden and I’m sure he will not; besides Lucas is happily engaged.”

“I still say it’s something her ass,” Vita states in a stern tone.

Walking out of the dressing room glancing at them, “what do y’all think?”

“Yes! This is the one.” Vita says as she continues, “you are going to turns heads tonight!”

“Lucas’s head,” Eden says with a smirk displayed on her face.

“Ms. Essence,” Kendric calls my name with a smile evident on his face.

“Us three ladies have our dresses now let’s go get this handsome little prince ready for tonight,” Eden says playing with Kendric.

After we got everything done, we made it back to Lucas’s house. Kendric knocks on the door until a shirtless Lucas opens it.