19

chapter nineteen

chapter nineteen

10 years ago

"where are we going, Miss Ursa?" young Yanmei giggled as the Firelady pulled her through the halls of the Palace with a smile on her face.

"I want to show you something, little one," the woman stopped and held the girls small hands, "but you mustn't tell anyone. this is a secret only between you and I, alright?"

"I promise I won't tell Zuzu!" the young girl grinned.

Ursa nodded, "good. then let's go"

the two continued to quietly jog through the Palace until they reached the royal gardens, a spot where Ursa spent most of her time. the sky was dark, only lit by some candles surrounding the garden.

Yanmei stopped in her tracks once she was outside and looked at her hands, "why do I feel... different?" she asked the mother.

"look up at the sky," Ursa pointed up and Yanmei gasped in amazement, "this is a Blood Moon. it's a celestial event that shows once every ten years. do you want to know why it's so special?"

"I do!" Yanmei smiled.

"legend says that on this rare night, waterbenders lose their power. but even though they are powerless, it is said that the most powerful ones are born under this moon"

Yanmei's eyes widened even more, "that's so cool! my mommy was a waterbender, was she born here?"

Ursa shook her head, "no... but you were"

"really?!" little Yanmei was shocked out of her mind. she thought that this was the coolest thing ever. and being able to see it with her own eyes made it even more special.

Yanmei looked back up at the sky to see the moon and sighed, "I wish I was a waterbender, I would be the best ever!"

Ursa's smile widened at her words. the Firelady was there when she was born, she saw her frail newborn body glow with light, and she knew just how special the child truly was. it was a secret she had kept all this time, and she couldn't wait to see the look on the little girls face when her full powers would show.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

"she's not dead, Yanny. we found her. Ursa's alive. and she's out there waiting for us"

Yanmei couldn't believe what she was hearing. it felt as if a huge weight had been lifted off her chest, but she couldn't breathe at the same time. she stared at Zuko, waiting for him to laugh and say that he was kidding, but he didn't. he stood there with his hand out and a soft smile on his face. he was telling the truth.

"how... how is this possible?" she felt as if she was going to cry, but out of joy.

"we went to search for for her about a year ago. she had changed her face and was living in her hometown. now she has her old face and lives here. the night she left she was just banished for what she did. and it turns out I have another sister, her name is Kiyi"