32

chapter thirty-two

chapter thirty-two

Haru grabbed Toph while Katara rushed to reach her brother. they all got onto Aala's back and waited for Aang to join them, but he stood beside Yanmei.

"Aang, we need to go!" Katara shouted through the sound of the army before them getting ready to take Xuan Yige by force.

"go without me!" he shouted over his shoulder, "I won't let these people hurt Yanmei or anyone else. we can't let another war start!"

Yanmei spun her sword, "stay out of my way, Aang. I can't kill these bastards with you in the way"

Aang gave her a stern look, "you said no killing"

she shrugged, "I changed my mind since we discussed I wouldn't have an audience. besides..." Yanmei's eyes flickered solid black then went back to their natural red, "Xuan Yige wants our enemies dead"

"we can figure something out! we don't have to kill!"

"there's no time for peace!" Yanmei looked over her shoulder, "I won't let anyone else I care about die because of me!"

Yanmei then rushed head on into the army's path, using her black enflamed sword to cut down anyone in her way.

"leave Aang!" she shouted back to him as the distance between them grew, "I don't need you getting caught up in this!"

her body pulsed as she reached closer to the center of the thousand soldiers. she couldn't think straight the closer she got. Aang's voice drifted away as three words repeated in her mind.

destroy all enemies.

Xuan Yige's influence was growing stronger by the second. she couldn't hold back for mouth longer.

"get...get to the cliff!" she managed to say to Aang through her turmoil. she never held back on Xuan Yige before, always giving in to the spirit to handle the tough situations. but this time she had someone she needed to protect from Xuan Yige's wrath. Aang, the person she is sworn to protect, will not be caught in the flames. she won't allow it.

she felt a gust of wind above her and looked to see Aang standing on the left cliff with a pained expression. she understood that he wanted to help her, that's what he does best, but this time it was her turn to help everyone.

destroy all enemies

in her conflicted state of trying to hold back Xuan Yige, Yanmei managed to get slashed in her side by a spear. it wasn't deep, but the shock of it caused her to fall to her hands and knees. it also gave Xuan Yige the opportunity to slip through.

the sky grew dark and thunder roared through the dry valley. Yanmei let out a strangled cry as she tried to gain back her control. her body burned with heat, an itch to let out her fire.

destroy them

because of her weakened state, Xuan Yige broke through at full force.

a glow of yellow once again emerged from under her hands and spread out a ring of fire at the speed of light. her bright eyes practically melted into black as Xuan Yige took control of her body.