10

chapter ten

chapter ten

back at the Haku household, Manami arrived to it being empty. she figured the men went off into town, and she was glad. she didn't want to see them or speak to them, not after what she discovered that morning. she walked to her bedroom to get a towel and clothes for a bath. upon searching through her drawers, her eyes lingered to the one on the far right, top corner. it was empty, aside from the shinning, silver bracelet laying inside of it. she hesitantly reached for the drawer and opened it, the bright sun reflecting off the piece of jewelry, making it seem even more beautiful and priceless than before. Manami gently picked up the bracelet, gliding her fingers against the colored charms hanging on it, and remembering the day she got it. her birthday, exactly three years ago.

Yanmei gleemed as she admired the fine jewlery once more, never wanting to take her eyes off of it. she looked up at Zuko and Iroh who smiled softly, "where did you get this? how did you afford it, Iroh?" she asked. 

Iroh chuckled, "it was Zuko's idea, actually. one of the customers at the shop makes them and he kindly accepted to make one for you"

"oh, this must have costed a forturne... I'll pay you back, Zuko-"

the prince interruped the girl by shaking his head, "you don't need to. it's a gift," he paused, "I know how much you've always wanted to know your mother and father, so now you'll have a bit of them with you"

another tear fell down her cheek at the mention of her parents, but she quickly wiped it away, "not only will I have this for them, but also for you. the both of you," she held onto Iroh's hand with her left and Zuko's with her right, "you two are my family, and I will always carry you with me. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you both. I will forever be grateful to have you both in my life"

Manami sat on the ground as she sobbed, clutching the bracelet in her hands as she wished they were with her in that moment. for the past three years, she convinced herself that not going back to them would set them free, that it would free them from the pain she caused everyone she loved. she thought that letting them go would be for the best, so why does she have this constant feeling that it was the wrong choice?

everything that she had down was to protect herself and her family and friends. every selfish decision, every horrible thing she did, she did out of love. she wanted to believe that leaving and never looking back was the right thing to do, bust after these past couple of weeks she was starting to doubt herself. maybe finding a way to get back to them would've been the right thing to do. she caused them all pain by leaving, by making them believe that she was dead, and that wasn't what she wanted at all. she wanted them to mourn her and then move on. but then again, something inside her believed that they were searching for her. that they knew she wasn't dead.