authors note

lately I've seen a lot of comments on the "issue" that Sokka hasn't been apart of most of the book. I know this, and that is changing, but this series is a slowburn. Sokka and Yanmei's endgame will come shortly, but what I wanted to do was go in dept into my character and not make it seem rushed. I like slowburns and I like angst, as you all can see by now, but there is a reason for it.

so i'm going to give a little recap and tell you all why I chose to write my stories this way. 

I wanted to do something different. yes, this series is about Sokka and Yanmei. it's about how they find each other, lose each other, and then find their way back together. but it's also about Yanmei. it's about her life, her journey, her finding herself and figuring out what she wants to do with her life. does she want to be more than others see her? or does she want to reshape her own destiny and be better than she was born and trained to be?

the first book was about her travels with Zuko and Iroh, her relationships with them, and her growth between the first two seasons of the series. Sokka was and always will be the main love interest. meeting him was a change from her old life, being with him and befriending his friends was apart of her destiny, this book digs into that with Xuan Yige and her connection with the Avatar. but I wanted to do things different, I wanted the obstacles they face, her fight between her old family she had been with her entire life and her new friends who taught her to break away from the norm and discover new things. 

that book ended with her making her choice. she chose a life with Sokka. but Azula stopped that. Yanmei got the life she was supposed to have, so she tried to end it. (hint the word tried). 

this second book is based in the avatar universe, but IS NOT based on season three of the show. the first couple chapters take place in that time, and you see what Zuko and Sokka are up to, but besides that it's based later on. a part of Yanmei wanted to go back as soon as she could, but the other part saw this as a sign to leave that life. the only good things in that life were a handful of people, but that wasn't enough for her. she didn't realize how much of a mistake it was until now, when Haru was sent by Sokka to search for her.

with everything surrounding Shan, Folami, Daria, Raider, and Hira, she finally found out about her true self, what she was born to do, and the destruction she can cause by just simply being alive. all of this will lead of to a major event and change in her life. a self-realization of what she is and how she feels. there will also be more info about Xuan Yige and how that will affect her.

going further into this would spoil it, but trust me, those of you who want Sokka back will be pleased with these upcoming chapters.

I didn't want my oc to just be Sokka's love interest, I wanted her to be her own person. I wanted her to grow up and face the reality that the people she met and cared for in the first book were her people. they were the ones who made her who she was, and being apart from them was a life she couldn't face on her own. they made her stronger, and going back to them in the right thing to do in the end.

I'm sorry that this wasn't a chapter and it was longer than my other notes BUT IT NEEDED TO BE SHARED.

- alex

p.s: her brother's name has not been mentioned in either stories, but if you've seen both the avatar shows, you can put the pieces together and figure out who he is. more about him will also be in this book.