30

chapter thirty

chapter thirty

"what do you mean 'they're gone'?"

Yanmei paced around the living room of Aang and Katara's home while Haru sat on the couch, fiddling with his fingers.

"the White Lotus sent a few members underneath the palace to check out their base, and they found nothing. there was no one there, no weapons, they left nothing behind"

"shit!" Yanmei buried her head in her hands. the others were working. she was the only one who knew about this, "they're coming for me, aren't they?"

"it seems so. we need to figure out how close they are before they reach the town"

"we need to tell Aang, he can fly out to find them"

"what if they spot him and attack?" her silence gave him the chance to speak again, "we can't rush into this. they are heavily armed and many have actual war experience, we need a solid plan"

Yanmei pulled her hands away from her face, looking down at Keera, "what do we with Keera? and with the rest of the town? we can't expect them to just leave their homes just incase their town turns into a war zone"

"it won't turn to that. remember how long it took us to get here on Aala? I guarantee that most of them are on foot. it could take them a week to get here. we'll make a plan to meet them before they reach the town"

Yanmei let out a heavy sigh, "you're right...we have enough time to prepare"

"have you been thinking about what to do?"

Yanmei wanted to say yes, but all of those ideas were dead ends. at least in her mind they were. she tried to contact Xuan Yige last night, but the stress from all that is happening prevented her from doing so.

"I don't want any casualties. So any plan that can give us that is the best"

too many people have died because of her. it doesn't matter if they were intentional deaths or not, she doesn't want to hurt people. she wants to find a way to solve this peacefully.

"when do you want to leave?" she spoke again.

Haru sighed, "as soon as possible. the quicker we get to them the less damage it will cause to surrounding places. we have an idea of where they should be, but Toph can confirm it for us"

Yanmei stood up and began to gather a few of Keera's toys. she walked around the house in silence trying to gather everything the toddler would need.

"wait, you can't bring Keera with us, she's a child!"

she set a cup on the table a little too forcefully than intended, "of course i'm not going to bring her, i'm not crazy. I'm going to take her to the man who knew her parents. he'll make sure she's safe while we're gone"

Haru nodded, not wanting to anger Yanmei any further. the creation of this new enemy, their reason for coming, and the strategy to stop them all lies on her. right now she's having to accept it all and keep her family safe at the same time.