Chapter Eighteen: Darkest hour

I had been let out of my cell but Megatron had a collar put around me and got a chain attached to it. I'm a fox on a leash. So the day I meet Dreadwing is also the day I see him die. Dreadwing tried to kill Starscream so Megatron killed Dreadwing with his own gun since Megatron replaced his arm with someone else's.

Megatron asked me how the keys worked but I didn't know. I was just told about them and nothing else. So, Megatron gave me to Starscream and Knockout to figure it out. Why Knockout didn't examine the keys before Starscream's surgery for his new T-Cog, I don't know. I was on a table with the keys while Knockout was scanning them.

"Tick tock, Knockout. Tick tock! Megatron is expecting results, and given what we just witnessed, I would say that we cannot afford to disappoint our master," Starscream said.

"We?" Knockout asked, "unless nagging counts, I haven't seen you lift a finger!" Knockout picked up a key.

"I am the one who brought him the keys and the fox. Do I really need to prove myself further by deciphering how they operate too?"

"Well, in my opinion, perhaps if Knockout's research hadn't been sidelined by someone's surgery, he might be further along right now!" I snapped at him. I might be scared of Megatron but I'm not scared of Starscream.

Starscream sighed in frustration, "oh, just give it here!"

Starscream tried to pry it apart before banging it on the table making me fall. Knockout decided to be sarcastic about Starscream's idea but got some karma when Starscream swiped the key on Knockout's finish. From stories, I know he's protective of that. Angry, Knockout grabbed a key ready to hit Starscream but the keys collided and connected.

The two got the idea to do the same with the other two and it showed a hologram of Cybertron and a location pointed out in red. We showed it to Megatron who figured it out. Keys are useless without something to unlock. I'd also like to mention that Starscream and Knockout don't seem like bad bots. I mean, they're Decepticons but I can see them maybe changing their ways.

I mean, they're certainly nicer than some Decepticons I've met so far. I was then given to a drone who but me in another cylinder container with my collar and chain still on. After what felt like hours, I was transported through the Decepticon Spacebridge to Cybertron with Starscream, Knockout and Soundwave who had Jack, Raf and Miko in the same cylinder containers I was in.

This is bad. We arrived at Cybertron to see whatever it was the keys were supposed to activate. The hole team, apart from Ratchet, was there with the relics they got from the Iacon database. I could see that the Autobots took the keys from the Decepticons and I'm guessing Megatron wanted them back.

He wound give us back in exchange for the keys. If they refused, the cylinders would be opened and they would watch us die. Make the right choice, Optimus, please. For our sakes. Because the Autobots were taking a while with their choice, Megatron ordered for the cylinders to be opened.

We all told then we were ready to sacrifice ourselves for their planet as the Autobots did for us. Optimus decided to surrender and everyone threw over the relics. Everyone got their partners and Optimus went over to get me from the drone. That's when a Spacebridge opened and an army of drones surrounded us.

The main four Decepticons activated the lock with the keys and used it to make some sort of building all shiny and new. Optimus asked Megatron to allow then to send us back to Earth but Megatron told him that we'd be safer on Cybertron. A Spacebridge opened above the lock and Megatron activated it again making a beam of energy go through it.

Miko asked if the Omega Lock will restore Earth as it did with Cybertron. Turns out it'll Cyber-form out planet killing all life in the process. Megatron teased Optimus about what to call his new domain, Earth. What really set Optimus off was when Megatron suggested Gilded Earth and they all laughed. After putting me down, he turned his hand into a sword attacking the drones and took his Starsaber back.

He chopped off Megatron's new arm and destroyed the Omega lock making it blow up. Ratchet opened a Spacebridge for us and we ran through. When Ratchet saw us, he questioned what happened to us as we were let out of the cylinders. I also took my collar off. I'm not a dog.

"Somebody say something!" Ratchet said.

"Optimus... destroyed the Omega Lock," Bulk said.

"What?! You did-"

"What was necessary," Optimus interrupted Ratchet, "there was no time for another prolonged battle, not with Earth in imminent danger."

"So you destroyed the only device in any universe capable of restoring our home?" Ratchet asked, "Optimus... we needed that."

"You weren't there, Doc," Smokescreen said, "and it's not your place to second-guess a battlefield decision."

"It most certainly is!" Ratchet snapped, "there had to be another way!"

"I-it wasn't that simple, Ratchet," Jack said with a stutter.

"Megatron was using the Omega lock to attack the Earth," Raf said.

"Optimus saved our planet," Miko said.

"What about our planet?!" Ratchet asked, "all of our struggles and Energon spilled and countless sacrifices for NOTHING?!"

"Right decision or wrong, what's done is done. And we have another problem here on this world. The 'Cons just changed the rules when they put Jake, Miko, Raf and (Y/N) into play," Arcee explained.

Beeping was heard and Agent Fowler came on screen, "Prime! The Pentagon is preparing to go Defcon One. I need to know what we're dealing with!"

"To what do you refer, Agent Fowler?" Optimus asked.

"Maybe you should step outside and see for yourselves," Fowler said.

"Ratchet, watch the children."

The bots went to the roof to see what was happening. The base rumbled and small parts of the ceiling were falling. The bots came back.

"What is going on out there?" Ratchet asked.

"The Decepticons have invaded Jasper," Optimus said.

"And Fowler seems to think he can hold them off!" Bulk said.

The battle outside continued and Wheeljack came to help Fowler hold off the Decepticons. Optimus then looked deep in thought. I have a feeling something bad is gonna happen.

"Ratchet, prepare to bridge everyone out of here," Optimus said.

"We're abandoning the base?" Ratchet asked.

"The base is lost. Wheeljack and Agent Fowler can only buy us time to escape. Bumblebee, Rafael, you will depart first."

'But why?' Bee asked.

"You're splitting us up?" Raf asked.

"Shouldn't we stick together?" I asked.

"All for one and one for all?" Miko asked.

"We must disperse to avoid capture until we can regroup and launch a counterattack. Survival is our only priority now," Optimus explained.

We all started Groundbridging to different locations away from the base. I asked Optimus if he was coming with me but he told me we had to be separated for a while until we met again. I put my hood up and ran through. I was in a forest close to a town. It wasn't Crown city. I guess after Starscream found me, it's too risky to go home right now. Now my objective. Fine the team, regroup and take down the Decepticons.