chapter iii

CHAPTER iii.
"a true friend is someone you can disagree with and still remain friends. for if not, they weren't your true friends in the first place" - sandy ratliff

 for if not, they weren't your true friends in the first place" - sandy ratliff

1951

"HEY DADDY."

The two words that Winnie had been dreading saying for a very long time now. She wasn't really sure what she was supposed to do from here, or what she was supposed to say. And to be honest, neither did Arthur White.

Never did he expect to see his daughter standing on his doorstep dressed formally and all grown-up. Hell, he didn't even expect to see his daughter at all, not after she left him all those years ago with that boy - what was his name? That's it, Bucky.

Arthur furrowed his brow, trying to say something but no words coming out. He shook his head and took in a deep breath. "W-Winnie? Wh-what are you..? How are you..? Winnie?" Mr White stumbled.

"C-can I come in?" Winnie questioned, hesitantly. She didn't necessarily want to go inside but she knew it would be better to have this conversation in private instead of the hallway.

Profusely nodding his head, Arthur moved to the side, allowing his daughter to enter the house. He watched her walk inside, still very confused as to why she was here. Or how she was here.

Oh, that reminds me, I should probably mention that Arthur thought his daughter was dead. For a good reason too. A couple of years ago in 1945, after she was considered 'dead,' he received a letter telling him that she had died.

Yeah.. That would make sense as to why he was so confused she was here...

As soon as she stepped inside the house, the very familiar scent of cigarettes filled her lungs but she tried to look past it and make her way into the living room. Everything about the house was still the same. The dull colours, the dull lighting, and the amount of mould that was forming on the walls. 

Winnie held back a disgusted look as she noticed flies flying around an uneaten plate of food. She sat down on the uncomfortable couch, swallowing the lump in her throat. The White girl refused to show any sign of emotion, not allowing him to take pleasure in seeing her uncomfortable.

Arthur followed after her, running a hand through his shaggy, grey hair and sat down in the chair that was directly in front of her. "Would you like anything? Something to eat, a cup of tea? I remember that was always your favourite drink."

"No thank you," Winnie politely declined. As much as she didn't want to admit it, she was surprised to hear that he remembered something like that for this long.

Mr White nodded his head, licking his dry lips. He looked at his daughter with such complexity and sorrow, truly taken back by her appearance. "How.." he began, "How are you here? I was told you were dead.."