chapter vi

CHAPTER vi.
"memory is a way of holding on to the things you love, the things you are, and the things you don't want to lose" - kevin arnold

1951

"YOU WORKED FOR HYDRA?!"

To say the Winnie was livid would be an understatement. Outraged? Furious? Those would probably describe how she was feeling a lot better. HYDRA had been apart of all her life and yet she only just found out about it?

"I know you're mad-"

"-Mad?! Not at all! Why would I be mad that my Father had worked for the same organisation that killed both my best friend and fiance?!"

"You're engaged..?"

Winnie gave him a smile that was laced with venom. "Was. No thanks to your buddies at HYDRA that is."

Arthur dipped his head down in shame. His daughter was engaged and he had no idea about it, and to make things worse, he helped the company that killed him.

"Who was he..?" he asked, his voice soft.

"You remember the two boys that I used to hang out with because I was a 'slut'?" the White girl sneered, "Or how about the boy that beat your ass that day that I left? Bucky? Yeah, him. Died a couple of days before our wedding."

Memories flashed through Arthur's head as he recalled the two different incidents. Guilt washed over his body as he remembered what happened. He could vaguely picture what the Bucky looked like, brunet, strong built, a similar height to him. 

However, he could remember clear as day the way he looked at Winnie, with such love and compassion. They were only teenagers when it all happened and yet, Bucky had more love in his eyes than Arthur and his wife ever had.

He just knew that Bucky had given Winnie all his heart and cared for her in a way that he never could with anymore. Arthur was thankful for that.

"I'm-"

"-Save it," Winnie cut him off, "As I said, I'm not here to listen to your apologies but to find out the truth."

Arthur opened his mouth to speak but eventually closed it, realising that there would be no point in trying. Instead, he turned towards the small box and began pulling out all of the contents inside and laying them on the table.

"It wasn't called HYDRA when I first was working. Hell, it didn't even have a name. Probably should have been the first thing to tip me off that it was a shady place to work. It was just some laboratory nearby.

"I worked there for many years, alongside Jenkins. Or more like he shadowed me. The dumbass didn't know shit about anything. At first, I was just an intern but then around the time I met your Mother, I became one of their scientists. I... Helped them by working on dark matter. They thought that they could create super soldiers with them.