chapter v

CHAPTER v.
"we loved with a love that was more than love" - edgar allan poe

1951

"THE KIND OF INFORMATION THAT EXPLAINS WHY MY OLD PRINCIPLE KNEW WHO YOU WERE."

Arthur felt a lump form in his dry throat. Out of all the things that his daughter wanted to know, why did it have to be this? The one thing that he never wanted her to know.

"Wh-what are you talking about?" he lied.

Winnie let out a fake laugh, causing her Dad to look at her in confusion. "See, there are a few things that you don't know about me.  I can hear your heartbeat, which just sped up a little bit when you lied."

Once again, the White man furrowed his brow in confusion. How? How, could she know all of this? Hear his heartbeat? That's insane, no one has that good of hearing. The only logical explanation for that would be- oh no.

"You got powers..?"

"Well, I'd prefer to call them a constant reminder that I'm cursed for eternity but each to their own," Winnie retorted, lazily looking around the room.

Arthur let out a small huff of laughter, "You know, you're a lot more sarcastic than I remember."

"That's because you never bothered to get to know me."

A tense silence formed in the atmosphere. Her words sent a pang to Arthur's heart, even though he knew it was true. Winnie, however, couldn't care less that she hurt him. He hurt her for over a decade so why should she care?

He let out a small breath of disappointment, he should have suspected something like that. Arthur knew that there would be no way of getting out of her question so he finally gave in. His eyes locked onto the floor, refusing to leave as he began speaking.

"Your principle and I used to work together, back when you were really young and your mother was alive. We worked for a company that wanted to experiment with different types of serums and the effects that they had on people."

Winnie's brow knitted together as she listened closely to what her father had to say. She couldn't deny that she was very confused, never in her life did she know anything about him working on serums. But then again, she didn't really know him all that well, aside from the drinking and the poor parenting.

"It was a bad company, one that I never should have been apart of but the money was good, so I didn't care. He and I worked many nights together, working on different tests but there was this one in particular that we had been working on the most. It also just so happened to be the last test that I worked on.