chapter xii

CHAPTER xii.
"ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ɪs ɴᴏ ɢᴏᴏᴅʙʏᴇ ғᴏʀ ᴜs. ᴡʜᴇʀᴇᴠᴇʀ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ, ʏᴏᴜ ᴡɪʟʟ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ʙᴇ ɪɴ ᴍʏ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ" - ᴍᴀʜᴀᴛᴍᴀ ɢᴀɴᴅʜɪ

italics = flashback

2016

"TELL ME YOU DIDN'T KNOW." 

Her voice cracked when she spoke, her emotions  "Tell me, you had no idea about this," she begged. "Tell me that when you were kissing me, you weren't keeping this from me." She looked up at Bucky who could barely keep her eye. Even though she already knew the answer, she didn't want to accept it. "Please."

Bucky's bottom lip quivered when he shook his head. "I'm sorry."

Winnie's stomach tightened as she turned away from the group, her back facing them. She was trying to calm her emotions. Her body began to shake, tears forming in her eyes. She didn't want it to be true. It couldn't be true. Not when she had just gotten him back.

"I think I'm gonna be sick," she said, her words muffled by her hand.

The person in that video wasn't Bucky, instead, it was the Winter Soldier and Winnie understood that too. But that wasn't why it hurt. It was the fact that he kept it from her, even after she had been talking about it.

He knew all about it when they were in the car together. He knew all about it when she was saving his life. He knew all about it when he was holding her in her arms. He knew all about it when she was kissing him like he was her everything.

That's why it hurt.

As Winnie was trying to keep herself from throwing up, Tony's focus remained on the TV. He was still processing everything on that tape. His parents were murdered? It wasn't a freak accident? After many years of getting over their deaths - well just his mother's - coming to terms that it wasn't his fault, he now had to learn it wasn't an accident after all.

And the person responsible was standing merely a few feet away from him.

His rage got the better of him when he tried to jump on Bucky but Steve held him back. "No Tony, Tony," Steve repeated, trying to calm him down. 

Tony turned to look at Steve, tears glistening in his eyes, his grief consuming him. "Did you know?" he asked him, his voice quiet.

"I didn't know it was him-"

"-Don't bullshit me, Rogers! Did you know?"

Steve paused. He glanced over at Winnie who was still shaking. He knew that once he answered, shit was going to go down. "Yes." 

Tony stepped away from Steve, betrayal written all over his face. He couldn't believe it. After everything that they had gone through. They might not have been the closest or sen eye-to-eye on a lot but he was always there for Steve.