Chapter Fiveteen

Sadness consumed him as he replayed what had happened in his head, what she had told Nora. It was like being thrown in an icy lake with no clothes on. At first, the shock rippled through his body and then the cold stabbed through him like he had been stabbed in the chest. He was numbed from head to toe.

The agonizingly painful bottom line was that he was trying to heal a bullet wound with a band-aid. The damage had been done and he was naïve to think that they would be exactly the same as they were before she found out about what he had done.

He stumbled up the stairs, wanting to see Violet and sort things out once and for all. She wasn't in her bedroom and normally that would have been enough for Tate to leave the room and check somewhere else but he found himself drawn to the bookcase.

Then he remembered it.

The piece of paper she had slipped into the book when he went to talk to her about Michael. He traced his fingers along their spines until they came to rest on the one she had placed it in. Tugging gently, he removed the worn book from the shelf and shook it until the slip fell onto the floor.

Unfolding it carefully, he saw that she had scrawled down some names:

Hayden,

Charles,

Moira?

Dad

"Tate? Where have you been?" Violet asked as she saw her boyfriend in her bedroom "I've looked everywhere for you!"

"What does this mean?" Tate questioned as he turned around and showed her the paper.

"How did you find it?" She replied, taking the paper from him and shoving it in a pocket, folding her arms over her chest.

"I saw you put it in the book" He answered "Violet, what does it mean?"

Looking around to check for others, Violet grabbed Tate's sleeve and pulled him into her bathroom, making sure to bolt the door behind her.

"Well?" He was beginning to grow impatient.

"It means that Hayden didn't take her anger out on me for the sake of it" She whispered, sighing "It was part of a plan that they've been working on since I died"

"So you're saying that they wanted us back together?" He clarified. She nodded.

"I think that Hayden, Charles, Moira…and my dad want to get rid of us, for good"

"Why?" He asked, still unsure of the situation.

"I don't know yet" She swallowed shakily "That's what I'm trying to find out but you can't tell anyone anything"

He nodded

"But how do you-"

"-Know?" She finished, leaning against the sink "Hayden's mad but she doesn't do something for the sake of doing it. It must be part of a bigger plan and I think it was my dad's idea"

"Violet, we can't just go around accusing everyone of conspiring against us" Tate sighed "Your dad loves you!"

"But he doesn't love you or Michael" Violet whispered "And if he doesn't love both of you, he can't love me"

-

The group met again, shortly after midnight near the crawlspace. There were four of them in total but they had other ghosts on their radar to recruit. They could take down the house.

But not just yet.

They had one mission, one goal: Make him pay.

Tate Langdon had made so many miserable and needed to be taught a lesson. He needed to pay for his crimes and all the pain and the sorrow he caused.

Even if it hurt others in the house.

-

"What is it with all the men in this house?" Nora muttered as she spied Chad bawling his eyes out on the stairs. She huffed as she tugges at his shirt and yanked him up from his sitting position "Are you going to tell me why you're behaving like an infant or shall I just leave to wallow in your own sadness?"

"Why's it any of your business?" Chad snapped, sniffling as she shrugged the original owner off of him and walked down the rest of the stairs to escape her.

"Because you're aggravating" Nora replied honestly, tired of his moaning. She stood a foot behind him, intent on silencing him and returning to what she was supposed to be doing.

"Well, I'm terribly sorry madam" He sassed as he spun to face the lady, slightly angered at her pestering "I didn't realise nobody gave a shit about you too!"

"Do you have to use such disgusting language?" Nora yelled at him before composing herself "Why are you acting like a woman on her monthly?"

"My boyfriend basically told me that he would never truly love me!" The man raged as he banged against the hard basement wall "Now you know! Are you happy? Do you want to piss the hell off now?"

"Language!" The former lady of the house shouted once again "You think I don't know how that feels? My husband didn't love me either so deal with it! If he did, he would not be with your boyfriend all the live-long day!"

"You know?" Chad whispered sadly

"I've known about them for a while now" She nodded

"And you didn't tell me?!" He yelled at her

"I'm sorry, it is not something you spread!" She shouted back

"You bitch" He growled "Stay the hell away from me if you don't want to eat another bullet!"

"I happily would" She retorted "But it's not like I can walk out of the house any time I please"

She stepped closer to him, anger radiating off of her

"I am not leaving and neither are you so I suggest you deal with whatever you need to and compose yourself immediately"

Just like that, she was gone.

Chad left shortly afterward, failing to notice the figures standing near by.

"We definitely need her"