Chapter Twenty-Two

I had major technical difficulties and a camping trip. Apologies.

Massive reveal coming up.

The weak orange morning light trickled through the windows, waking most of the house from their slumber. The promise of a day of freedom was enough to wake them up earlier, like excited kids on Christmas morning.

Violet had promised herself that she'd wake up as early as possible but somehow Tate had already beaten her to it. He hadn't slept, not a lot at least. Excitement and energy coarsed through his veins so much so that every second they weren't doing anything was painful. His one day of freedom had to be jam packed with everything he had longed to do for the past year.

The house seemed lighter and easier to breathe in when spirits were allowed to vacate the premises for a mere twenty four hours. It seemed happier, like a weight had been removed from the occupants' chests. Halloween was the biggest reminder of all that life should be lived and, for Tate and Violet, inside the house was more dangerous, more toxic and more fatal than the outside world around them.

"My mom's going to be here soon" Tate said as he and Violet entered the kitchen, fully clothed and ready to leave.

"Great" Violet replied, jumping up onto the counter and swinging her legs like a child, itching with the anticipation.

"You're cute when you get excited" He noticed, smiling to himself as he stood opposite her, fiddling with the ring on his finger. She was too adorable for her own good.

She scoffed, not believing it.

"It's true" He insisted, moving closer to her.

"Whatever" She laughed lightly, looking out of the window for Michael and Constance. Every second she had to wait was another second she was trapped in the house.

"You don't believe it?" He asked, amusedly.

"Nope" She shook her head

"You should" He replied "Everything I say about you is true"

"And what kind of things do you say about me?"

"Like how beautifu your eyes are, how smart you are and how I feel when I look at you"

"Which is?" She put her feet back on the floor and stood a short distance away from him.

"Do I really need to tell you how much I love you?" He whispered in her ear as he then brought his lips to hers.

"I'm terribly sorry to ruin this touching moment" Constance interrupted as she appeared at the door with her grandson. The couple immediately broke apart, Tate wiping his mouth awkwardly while Violet tried not to meet her eyes "But I have your son"

"Thanks" Violet replied quietly "Let's go"

She picked her bag off of the counter near where she had been sitting and went to grab her son's hand. She placed her foot on the bottom of the doorframe, taking a deep breath as she went to take her first step outside. Michael ran out it front of her, his small sneakers slapping against the earth as he turned back around to look at his parents and grandmother.

But she couldn't move forward.

"What is it?" Constance asked, the concern thick in her voice.

"I...I don't know" The ghost stuttered as she tried again to move past the door

"Violet?" Tate said worriedly, placing his hand on her back.

"I can't leave" She choked out, looking up at Tate, their hearts simultaneously crushing.