Chapter Twelve

"I'm going to talk to my dad" Violet announced as she combed her hair lazily with her pale fingers and tied it up at the back of her head. She grabbed a cardigan from the desk chair and shrugged it over her shoulders.

"Be careful" Tate said out of reflex. He had absorbed himself in one of the Harmons old photo albums he had found in the attic with Violet's board games. This particular one had some sort of card on the front that said "It's a Girl!" with pink balloons and a stork. Inside, someone (presumably Ben or Vivien) had written:

Announcing the safe arrival of Violet Harmon, weighing 7lb 5oz - With love, Ben and Vivien XO

"I will" She replied as she leaned over and kissed him quickly. He smiled as she closed the door behind her and happily flicked through the photos that were taped to the pages.

He particularly like one on the sixth or seventh page.

Violet looked about three years old and pulling a toothy grin in the direction of the camera. She was surrounded by pillows and plush toys wearing fairy wings and a massive plastic tiara. It looked like she was looking at whoever was taking the picture

The first picture was taken in the hospital. Violet was a tiny pink creature curled in her exhausted mother's arms. Ben sat on the edge of the bed smiling immensely at the camera while his wife managed to grin with the little energy she had left.

The most recent was off Vivien and Violet in Boston. They were holding a massive pretzel each. A pregnant Vivien held the pretzel in front of her and Violet stood next to her, pulling a funny face and pointing at the treat her mother was holding.

From start to finish, Tate looked lovingly over all of them. It was like watching her grow up. She was so happy before everything that had happened to her family: the miscarriage, the affair and this house.

They should've got out while they could.

-

"Violet" Ben beamed as he saw the figure of his teenage daughter in the doorway of his office. He closed the book he was reading and set it on the coffee table next to his feet.

"Has mom said anything to you about...you know?" She asked as she took a seat on the arm of the couch. Her father nodded slowly "And?"

"It's better this way" He answered "For everyone. Having the kid as your brother is far more dangerous than having him as a son. No kid should grow up confused about their family. This just...uncomplicates things"

"Does it?"

"Of course. Michael will have a mom and a dad with grandparents who will love him, no matter where he came from" He put his hand on hers and smiled "I've seen the way Tate looks at you, honey - He'd do anything for you. While I haven't forgiven him yet, the kid will be safe"

"I wanted to kill myself" Violet whispered, trying to hide her tears "But I didn't want this"

"Nobody did, Vi" Ben comforted as he stroked his daughter's blond hair soothingly "But you just have to go with"

"Dad, I'm scared" She bawled "What if he hates me? What if he knows I'm not his mom? What if I'm a terrible mother?"

"Violet, listen to me" He said sternly as he held her face in his hands "1) He will not hate you, he's five years old - He doesn't know how to hate someone 2) He won't care and 3) How could you even say that? You're a spitting image of your mom and you turned out okay"

"I won't say 'okay' as such" She muttered "I cut and I smoke, Dad - Not exactly how I'd define 'okay'"

"Don't split hairs" He replied "Now get back to wherever you were and stop worrying"

-

"I see you've decided to take me up on my offer" Hayden grinned as she saw the spirit standing in front of her. This was too good "I knew that you would give in eventually"

"I had to think about it" The spirit replied as they played with their fingers nervously. Perhaps coming to her was a bad idea but they knew that Hayden would protect them. She was in league with almost half of the house and associating themself with her was wise if they wanted to last five minutes after the child set foot in the house "I admit that I was scared"

"You made a wise choice coming to me" She reassured, stroking the spirits arm gently to calm their nerves. The gesture did nothing but apprehended the spirit even more. They were beginning to question themself more and more every second.

"Perhaps this was mistake" They replied sheepishly as they tried to turn away but not succeeding as Hayden had grabbed their arm.

"There's no turning back now, sweetheart" She said, almost regretfully as she lifted herself onto Charles's table and swung her legs in a child-like manner "And I think you'd rather be with me than against me"

"That much is true" They answered, looking at the basement floor to avoid her eyes.

"I can offer you so much" Hayden smiled, possibly out of kindness "Happiness, love, protection. You're not happy with them, are you? I care about everyone in my...circle of trust, should we call it. They only care if you have some sort of blood tie"

"That's not true" They protested quietly, not wanting to believe what the auburn was saying "They do care"

"Do they? Do they really?" Hayden jumped off the table "Put it this way: He hated you, she treated you like a doormat and the daughter still doesn't give a shit about you"

The spirit shook their head

"You're wrong"

"No, I'm not" She held the spirits hands in her own "You know I'm right so are you in or not?"

"I'm in"

-

Sorry for late update. I was learning lines for a dram exam & I had to re-write this bc it didn't save the first time