Chapter Six

If there was one thing Moira O'Hara could do, it was clean. Clean everything and anything, from top to bottom, side to side until it was gleaming. She despised untidy houses and felt obliged to clean.

But there was another reason why she cleaned.

Families in need of a maid were either lazy or falling apart. The Harmons weren't in need of a maid when they first arrived at the famous LA murder house but Moira sensed that Vivien and Ben's relationship was doomed and that their so-called 'fresh start' wouldn't last long.

That's why they needed her.

The process of their separation was painful to watch but Moira had to think of it like ripping off a band-aid. All over quickly with minimal pain.

Tempting Ben into bed with her proved more difficult than it should have been. Her younger form had served her well in getting men to cave. Ben wanted it, she could see it in his eyes. They were filled with lust. He wouldn't budge though, determined to stay faithful and claiming that he loved his wife. The sad truth was he didn't want to be thought of as the man-whore everyone knew he was.

Moira, in her older form, dropped hints to Vivien about her husband. Planting seeds in her head then slowly watering them until they bloomed. Vivien had to know how toxic Ben was for her.

Then, the couple died. It was tragic but it changed Moira's perspective on their relationship. Vivien and Ben would be lingering in the Murder House for eternity, only able to leave once a year. They might as well have been happy. In death, they needed each other. In life, each other was the last thing they needed.

Sometimes the ones you want are not the ones you need.

Violet and Tate were the perfect example. Violet did not want to be with Tate yet she needed him like a life line and she was his drug. She made him a better person than he could ever be seeing a shrink.

Moira learnt a lot by cleaning the house for it's various different owners over time. She knew them better than they knew themselves. So much so that Moira would be a therapist for the residents then Mr Harmon could ever be.

-

The crawlspace was dark, damp and smelt like something had died in there. It was unlikely Violet was in there. While the dark, silence and secluded were part of her criteria, this place was too small and claustrophobic. Ben knew she wasn't in there but he was looking for the same reason he ever did anything - to make Vivien happy.

"Violet?" He called out, his voice echoing in the empty space. There was no response except a few scuttles of what he assumed were rats or some other rodent.

As he made his way deeper and deeper into the crawlspace, the disgusting smell seemed to disappear a bit and was replaced by the smell of perfume, Violet's perfume.

"I know you're in here, Vi" He sighed, hoping his daughter would appear from the shadows or that she'd call out. Still nothing "You can't avoid us forever Violet. What have we done wrong? Tell me"

That's when he caught a glimpse of it.

Violet's body, covered in a dress she had worn in Boston. It complimented her features and Ben didn't know why she didn't wear it more often. She was wearing makeup but not the usual sort she wore. Foundation and concealer and a load of other products Ben couldn't name.

This was Violet's tomb and there was a note in her hand.

Someone must have given her a funeral at sometime. Ben wasn't even aware that her body was in there, let alone that she'd had a funeral.

Curiosity taking over him, Ben bent down to take the note from Violets stone-cold hands. Carefully, he unfolded it and began to read.

Here lies the most beautiful girl that I had ever laid eyes upon.

Who had written this? Violet had little friends in the house. Ben knew it wasn't Viv because he would've recognized her handwriting and Beau couldn't write, let alone get into the crawlspace. The note was far to informal to be from Moira and it couldn't be him.

She didn't smile as often as she should've but when she did, she made everything feel okay.

That was true. Violet's smile was the most precious thing because they were so rare.

She didn't love herself the way I did but she also didn't need anyone to make her feel like a million bucks.

Violet had been independent from the start and never needed someone's approval to do something. She didn't follow the crowd and wasn't afraid to be her own person which Ben admired about her.

The world stopped to admire her when she laughed.

Also, true. This person, whoever they were, spoke a lot of sense.

Rest in peace, Violet - I love you.

Everyone loved Violet - How could they not?

"Touching isn't it?" Someone spoke as they stepped out of the shadows. He was tall, dark brown hair, brown eyes and thick brows - Chad. One of the homosexual ghosts that lived in the house.

"What are you doing here?" Ben growled as he stood up to confront the other spirit. Chad smirked and leaned against one of the walls, raising his eyebrows in amusement.

"If you must know, Benjamin" Chad began as he examined his long fingernails in the little light there was in the crawlspace like a true beauty queen "Pat's been sneaking off somewhere and I fear his back to his old adulterous ways. He's been sneaking down to the basement a lot and when I saw you come in here, I thought he'd be with you but clearly not"

"Why would I take interest in your boyfriend?" Ben replied, annoyed by Chad's unwanted presence "I have a wife, a family"

"But that's happened before" He interjected, deliberately wanting to aggravate the other man "Hasn't it, Dr Harmon?" Ben's face was suddenly washed with shame. Chad, seeing his guilt, chuckled deeply "Nothing stays hidden in this house for too long. Tell me, how's Hayden doing?"

"How should I know?" The psychiatrist said angrily, wanting to be rid of this pathetic son of bitch once and for all.

"No need to get mad" Chad retorted "You act like such as a saint with your family but everyone else can see right through your goddamn mask. Did it ever stop?"

"I don't know what you're talking about!"

"But you do" He laughed "I know you do and I'll let you decide what to do about it"

Chad started to disappear back into the shadows when he turned around.

"It's only a matter of time before she finds out anyway..."