Chapter Twenty

She regret it as soon as she said it. When she saw the pain inflicted on his face, she instantly wished that she could cram the words back into her mouth and they could get past it.

However, there was some truth in her words. She did love both of them and she was still furious with Tate. As much as she wanted to get past what had happened, she couldn't help but remember the latex suit, the kids on Halloween and worst of all, the person he claimed he wasn't.

Whoever said that theoretical wounds heal with time must have been high off their head. Time heals jack shit, it just numbs the pain for a while. When she let him back in again, it felt like the wound had healed but then, slowly, it was being ripped open. Their latest argument was like throwing a fistful of salt in it. The pain making her reel in agony.

"Penny for your thoughts, my dear?" The dead maid asked as she appeared at the other side of the kitchen. Violet felt her eyes immediately narrow. She had lost all for Moira now.

Choosing the mature approach, Violet said nothing. She jumped off of the stool she was seated on and went to leave the kitchen.

"Ignoring me won't make me go away" Moira said, smiling slyly.

"No but it will shut you up for a while" The teenager retorted, raising her eyebrow sassily and turning on her heel.

"I wouldn't be so smart if I were you" Moira retaliated, now standing right in front of her "Your father's with us now, your mother is who-knows-where and I believe that you aren't talking to your psychotic stalker anymore"

"Tate will always protect me" Violet snapped "It might not seem like it but he's a decent human being - unlike you!"

"You're very hypocritical, dear" The maid tutted "I joined an organization to protect myself whereas you abandoned your 'son' and the one you supposedly love. You've committed a crime worse than anything Tate had done - You betrayed them. You didn't love him, you needed a guard dog!"

"I do love him!" She screamed back at the red head but she was already gone.

Violet couldn't control herself now. Hot tears rushed down her face as she bounded up the stairs to her bathroom. Tate was lying on her bed but immediately jumped up when he saw the state she was in. He called to her but she continued running until she reached the bathroom and bolted the door behind her.

"Violet, open the door" Tate demanded softly yet firmly, as if he was talking to a child.

"Leave me alone" She cried as she searched her draws for her razors.

"I know you told me to leave you alone" He said through the door "I can't and I'll never be able to. I'm unconditionally in love with you"

"You don't understand" She wept, removing the razors from their case "You never will, Tate"

"Don't do it" He responded, banging his fists against the door "Don't you dare or I'm going to break down this door to stop you"

"I'm dead" She yelled "It doesn't matter anyway. I'm still stuck here regardless!"

"Violet, listen to me, please!" He pleaded, still attacking the door with his hands in desperation "I hate it when we fight, I hate it when I'm not with you and I hate it when you do this to yourself! Let me in!"

"I'll never love myself" She whispered as she slouched against the door. She stared at the razors, mesmerized by their sharp edge "You can't change that about me, Tate - No matter how hard you try"

"Don't do it, Vi" He replied shakily "I love you. I've been around for thirty nine years but I only live when I'm with you"

"I'm sorry" She breathed, quickly slicing away at her flesh. Blood sat on the surface of her skin as more tears slid down her face.

"Open the door, please" He repeated gently.

And this time, she did as she was told.

-

"Where is everyone?" Violet asked as she lifted herself onto the kitchen counter. Tate handed her a glass of tap water which she finished quickly.

"Probably in the basement" Tate shrugged, not taking his eyes off of her - a creepy but necessary precaution.

"Don't do that" She huffed, setting her glass down.

"Do what?"

"Stare at me" She answered, jumping off of the counter "I'm fine - I promise"

"Whatever" He replied, scratching the back of his neck.

"Tate" She sighed exhaustedly

"I said whatever" He snapped "Can we drop it?"

"No" She said calmly, taking his hands "We need to talk about this, Tate"

"You don't want to be with me" He shook his head sadly "There's nothing else to talk about"

She took a deep breath

"Birds can fly away when things get to crazy, that's what you said to me" She started, looking him in the eye "They find somewhere else to go and make a new nest. I've flew away from the nest and I hated every minute of it"

She placed a hand on his cheek

"Things are going to get crazy" She continued "But I chose you. Even if it means that the 'anti-Tate' group becomes the 'anti-Tate-and-Violet' group"

"I can't let you put yourself in danger" He responded, his arms resting around her waist.

"I'm afraid you don't have a choice" She whispered, her face inches from his "And I'm not leaving you again"

"Violet" He breathed

"Mmm?"

"We'll get through this" He reassured

"I know we will"

-

Apologies for lack of storyline this chapter - I was feeling fluffy.