Chapter Thirteen

"Stop it" Violet laughed as she sat on the sofa next to her boyfriend. His knees were jumping up and down uncontrollably as if they had a mind of their own. His sleeves were pulled over his knuckles in anxiety as he continued to fidgit wildly.

"Sorry" He apologized, trying to contain his nerves. How was Violet so calm? She was relaxed or so her posture implied. Her legs were placed comfortably on the coffee table and she was slouched a little, arms folded over her chest.

"It's okay to be nervous" She reassured, smiling.

The both of them had tried to dress for the occasion but they didn't own as many clothes as they used to. Being dead not only trapped them in house but also made them refrain from wearing certain articles from when they were alive.

"I know" He sighed, rubbing his eyes and returning her smile "It's good, right? That I'm nervous"

Violet nodded before finally deciding to get some more coffee for her and Tate. Not that he needed the caffeine, because this was a brand new situation for her and she wasn't sure quite what else to do.

She set their mugs down on the counter before reaching for the pot.

"Knock, knock" A familiar voice announced themself as they pushed the door door open. Violet stood stuck to the spot, failing to mental prepare herself to meet her 'son'. She swallowed as she turned around.

"Hi" She gulped as she focused her coppery eyes on the hand that Constance was holding. Her hands began to shake.

"Hello" He said as he looked up at his new mother figure.

Michael was pretty tall for his age and definitely resembled Tate in looks and stance. He had curly blond hair, the same shade as his father's but his mother, or rather grandmother's eyes. The hand that Constance wasn't holding was sitting in his pocket. He came across as confident like Vivien but had Tate's winning smile.

"Michael, this is your mother" Constance introduced, pushing him gently in Violet's direction. Both Constance and Violet were near to tears. He stepped closer to his new mother, studying her and soaking up her essence.

"Hi there" Violet grinned, regaining her confidence and crouching down to his height. He smiled back at her and she couldn't help but see her boyfriend staring back at her.

-

Tate, who had realised that the coffee was taking a long time, chose that moment to enter the kitchen. His mouth hung open for a second before seizing the moment and joining Violet at Michael's level.

"Hey there" Tate beamed at his son.

"Who are you?" He asked, puzzled by the two new people of importance in his life.

"I'm your dad" He replied, extending his hand for the five year old to shake. Michael took it and shook his father's hand firmly, nodding his head from the force he was putting into the gesture.

"I'm Michael" The child introduced himself.

"I know" Tate laughed.

"I'm just going to leave you to it" Constance decided, wiping a single tear away from her eyes. The scene was all too much for her.

"Are you sure? Do you want some coffee before you go?" Violet asked as she stood up and stepped closer to the neighbour.

"No, no" She insisted "Have fun now"

-

"Do you want the grand tour?" Tate asked excitedly as he led Michael through to the dining room. Michael nodded eagerly as he took his father's hand.

The young couple took him to the attic first. They climbed up the ladder into the attic. Upon arrival, Violet turned on the sma, dim light and illuminated the room slightly. Beau was rolling the ball back and forth against the wall. He squealed in joy when he saw his brother and Violet along with the young child.

"Dad, who's that?" Michael questioned as he saw the dark figure of his uncle but he shyed away when Beau turned around and bounded towards the family.

"This is uncle Beauregard" Tate explained as he put his arm around his deformed brother.

"Hi" The boy squeaked, waving. Beau grunted friendly in response.

"Beau's always around to play with" Violet explained, picking up the ball and handing it to her son "Go on"

Michael sat himself down on the floor and rolled the ball gently to his uncle. Happily, Beau rolled it back, making his nephew giggle.

"Wow" Tate remarked as he stepped back and stood next his girlfriend, putting his arm around her shoulders. Violet wrapped her arms around his middle and pressed her head against his ribs "Like a proper family"

"Yeah" She agreed, looking up at him and smiling "He's really taken to him"

Tate smiled back, kissing her forehead softly. This was their life, the one they deserved. With Michael, with Beau and with each other. The ones they loved, forever.

Life in the infamous murder house was finally looking up.

-

There were three of them lurking down in the corners of the basement. Scheming, strategizing and sharing plans.

"He's here"

"The boy?"

"Yes"

"Finally - we can get this thing over with"

"Not just yet"

"Why not?"

"They'll suspect something if we act now"

"Agreed"

"We should wait until Halloween"

"That's two months away!"

"Suck it up. He deserves to pay for everything he's done"

"Toying with Violet was just the beginning of it"

"What do you mean?"

The leader smiled deviously as they looked around the cold basement for any signs of other spirits.

"He thinks he's got a clean slate. That's he's beginning again and that nothing happened"

They looked their helpers in the eyes, making that their message would be received and understood.

"But everything's happened"

"He deserves everything we hurl in his direction"

"They don't suspect a thing and they won't"

"We'll always be a step ahead of him to knock him down further than he was before that pathetic girl took his sorry ass back"