Chapter Three

When you were trapped in a house of mass murder, silence was a concept you could only wish for. The spirits were always restless, always wanting attention. Being disturbed during the night wasn't a rare occurrence for Violet.

She went into her room at night and 'pretended' to sleep, spirits don't sleep. She liked to lie down, rest her head on the pillow, close her eyes and pretend to be alive again. Normality was distant now. Death changed everything.

"Wake up skank" Hayden demanded as she barged her way into Violet's room. Forcefully, Hayden grabbed her forearm and picked her up easily.

"Get your hands off me!" Violet protested as she struggled in Hayden's grasp. Digging her nails deeper into Violet's skin, Hayden pulled Violet out of her room.

"Shut up!" Hayden shouted as she slapped the daughter of her ex-lover around the face. She continued heave the dead teenager down to the basement.

"What do you want Hayden?" Violet screamed as she was shoved into a chair. Hayden picked up a rope that was lying lazily on the floor and wrapped it around her several times.

"Pain" Hayden hissed, securing the rope behind her "Nobody stops by this house after your dad's 'accident' and I have so much anger that needs to be taken out on someone. That someone is you, slut"

"I'm dead so even if you wanted to hurt me, you couldn't" Violet stated, smirking and earning another slap from Hayden.

"Don't get smart with me" Hayden snapped. She bent down to look get a better look at her "You better pray hard because you'll be begging me to have me to have mercy on you!"

"If you want pain, just sleep with my dad again" Violet sassed "I sure my mom would beat your whiny ass back to Boston, anyway"

Hayden took a series of hard punches at her face until a trickle of scarlet escaped her nose. If she was alive, her face would be throbbing like hell. For a tiny person, Hayden could punch well. Violet, narrowing her eyes, spat her dad's former adulterer.

"Bitch" Hayden grabbed Violet's long hair and yanked with such strength that the chair fell over. Violet hit her head on the hard concrete of the basement.

She was unconscious...for now

-

The attic had always been home to Beauregard Langdon. When he had been alive, his mother had forbid Tate and Adelaide to go to the attic and see him. He loved his mother, despite all the suffering she put him through. He could never hate her. She gave him life and he knew, deep down, that she loved him dearly.

It was only when she moved into the house next door that his siblings visited him. Tate, like Beau, was dead and trapped in the house and was always available to play. Addie would sneak in at night when the Harmons slept.

For years, his brother and sister were his only friends. Day in day out, Beau would sit in the shadows rolling the ball to himself. Tate stayed with him sometimes and they stayed together for hours on end. Same with Addie, but her visits were less frequent. She was always happy and until a while ago, so was Tate.

Then everything changed.

Addie stopped visiting him. He thought she didn't want to see him anymore. He didn't understand how Addie could just forget about him and Tate. It was the most horrible pain he'd ever felt. To be forgotten about.

Soon after Addie stopped visiting, his mother broke the news to him - Addie was dead. A hit and run accident on Halloween. It was devastating for everyone. She was loved by everyone. Constance had bought her mask for Halloween because she wanted to be a pretty girl. Beau didn't understand - Addie was a pretty girl, if not outside definitely inside. By those measures, Addie was the most beautiful girl to ever live.

Then Tate and Violet stopped coming to the attic together. They came separately more often but they were always sad and it wasn't the same. Beau loved the extra attention from both of them but it was different because they were always moped around.

Beau would give anything for things to go back to how they were before.

-

"Lorraine?" Tate called as he entered the crawl space. It seemed bigger now that he knew Violet's body wouldn't be a constant reminder of the love that slipped through his fingers. It would a constant reminder that the one person he truly loved would be as close to peace as they could be.

"Hello" She greeted as Tate's blond hair came into her focus. He jumped down to where the body and Lorraine were. In his hands, he had a large bag filled with what Lorraine told him to bring "I see you have everything"

"Yeah" Tate replied, looking at the bag. He bent down and emptied it on the floor of the crawl space. The content was spread out along the floor for Lorraine to examine. Tate noticed that Lorraine had got rid of the flies that were living in Violet's mouth "Where do we start?"

"Here" Lorraine picked up a medium-length black dress that Violet wore once back in Boston and then threw to the back of her wardrobe. She wouldn't miss it.

Shakily, Tate removed the clothes she had died in and one by one, put them in the corner where they were then neatly folded by Lorraine. He pulled the dress over her head and put her arms where they were supposed to go. When he was finished, Tate crossed Violet's lifeless arms over her chest. He left her shoes and socks on because if he had taken another pair of her shoes, Violet would've definitely noticed.

Then, he began on the makeup he had borrowed from Ben and Vivien's bathroom. He first, with some help from Lorraine, covered her pale face in a light layer of foundation and put concealer some places to highlight her features. After this, he applied smokey gray eyeshadow and liquid eyeliner. He struggled with the mascara so Lorraine to over from that point. Once that was done, Lorraine carefully put on deep red lipstick.

"Perfect" Lorraine said as she stepped back and admired their handy work.

Tate moved her so she was lying on her back and then placed a note in her hands which read:

Here lies the most beautiful girl that I had ever laid eyes upon. She didn't smile as often as she should've but when she did, she made everything feel okay. She didn't love herself the way I did but she also didn't need anyone to make her feel like a million bucks. The world stopped to admire her when she laughed. Rest in peace, Violet - I love you.

He placed a kiss on her forehead and with that, he left with silent tears rolling down his cheeks.