Ulla's Journal

Ulla's POV(past):(when Varian was a baby, this is going to be in a few of the chapters to develop Ulla and Donella's characters more)

"I hope to be back soon" i told Quirin with a smile.

"We'll be waiting" he said, before turning to Donella "You'll keep her out of trouble, right?" he said in a joking tone.

"Of course i will" she responded with the same tone.

"I can take care of myself just fine" i said.

"Last time you said that, you almost wandered into a cave of bats to locate something for one of your experiments" she said.

"We were 14, Don"

Suddenly a voice came from around the corner.

"Mama? You're already leaving?"

Varian.

"Just for a few weeks, like i said, i'll be back before you know it" i bent down to his level, removing my goggles and handing them to him "don't let that stop you from learning new things though, my books are in my lab, but don't touch any equipment without your father's supervision, if you do, you'll need these"

"you'll be careful?"

"I will, don't worry, i'll be home soon, i love you so much"

"I love you too, Mama"

Quirin took Varian into his arms and they both waved as Donella and i headed out.

Elizabeth's POV(present):

"Oh! Oh! Be careful!" Varian said as he was running around trying to get Ruddiger and Athena to stop running around in his lab.

Suddenly they came to a stop and Athena started barking at the wall.

"Is she ok?" Varian asked me.

I shrugged and walked up to her.

"Did this wall always have cracks in it?" I asked.

"Wait what!?" Varian walked up next to me and looked at the cracks in the wall.

He pulled on part of it and all the pieces fell out revealing a hidden compartment.

"Woah!"

"Did you know about this?" I asked.

"No, i didn't" he said, reaching into it and pulling out a book.

"Trials of the Seven Kingdoms, a documentation by.....Ulla" Varian read what was written on the cover, pausing before the name.

"This was mom's" he said, sitting at his desk and opening the book.

I sat next to him.

"There's a note" he said holding up a piece of paper.

"What does it say?"

My dearest Quirin,
I'm sorry i had to leave on such short notice, Donella was determined to go on this adventure and you know how she is when she dosen't get her way, i promise to be back with you and Varian soon.

~With love, Ulla

Varian read.

"Who's Donella?" I asked.

Varian shrugged.

"I'm not sure!" He said "Why didn't dad tell me about this?"

"I'm sure he had a reason, just try talking to him" i said.

"Oh ho, trust me..." he said slamming the book shut "we'll talk".

Varian's POV: that night

"Dad" i threw the doors open.

"Ah, Varian, is something wrong son?" He asked.

I held up the book and saw the fear spread across his face.

"Why didn't you tell me about this?" I asked.

"You...you weren't re-" he started.

"That's your excuse for everything dad!" I cried "i'm 18 now! I'm not a child anymore!"

"Varian-"

"Dad! If there's something about mom you aren't telling me i wanna know what it is!"

He sighed.

"Very well" he said.

"When you were about...3 or 4" he started "Your mother and her research partner, Donella, went to look for a place called the Eternal Library, i don't know much about it but i know that whatever happened, your mother didn't return from"

"Eternal Library? The one mom wrote about?" I asked, looking through the book.

"What if i were to complete mom's work! I could go find her and bring her home!" I said.

"I worried this might happen..." dad sighed.

"How much do you know about it!?" I asked.

"Sorry to disappoint you but i don't know much" dad said.

"Oh ok....wait...i know someone who might!" I said excitedly.